back to article iPhone owners are superior beings, says survey

iPhone users are often accused of acting as if they believe they're a cut above the common rabble. Well, they are. At least according to a survey by Forrester Research of over 32,000 working Americans, brought to our attention by AppleInsider. According to Forrester's research, iPhone users are wealthier and better-educated …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Chris Miller

Or could it be

that those earning under $70k are less likely to want to spend $400 on a phone?

Just a thought.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the profile of a...

no phone owner?

All this shows is what's been known for ages, that a fool(*) and his money are soon parted. No doubt they will not mind paying the $750 so they can feel smug in the knowledge that they have documented proof that they are superior.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you can't have an educated fool.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazing

Next they'll be telling us higher earners drive more expensive cars too.

4. Ozwadi Ogolugi
    Thumb Up

Very

true.........

5. Craig 12
    Dead Vulture

That's not what the survey really says...

Surely it's saying a higher percentage of *grouped owners* fall into the brackets. That doesn't translate into 'more people' or 'higher salary' or 'better education'. If these were translated into actual numbers, I'm positive the lower percentage still works out to be more educated people using a smartphone. Which makes sense given the price shaft the 3GS is bringing!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Could it be...

...that clever people tend to have more disposable income to risk on feature-poor but pretty tat?

7. DZ-Jay

@Rik

>> "That may seem a bit pricey, but if you're a high-achieving iPhone owner, it's pocket change."

Nicely said. However, as iPhoners, they pressumably already know they're younger, wealthier, and better educated, and so have no need to check out the report.

-dZ.

8. IR
    Thumb Down

Something not right

So almost 50% of people with an ordinary "dumbphone" earn more than $70k? That doesn't sound right at all.

Ignoring the deliberate baiting (which I'm sure hundreds will fall for anyway), it seems to make sense that rich people are more likely to own an expensive product, and make sense that college educated people tend to be rich. So another "stating the obvious" survey.

9. ffrankmccaffery

Also

Add gullible to the mix too.

10. Gangsta
    Jobs Horns

Waste Money

Its because these "Superior" beings can waste money on a product that's so very overpriced.

11. mrweekender
    Happy

Ahhhh...

...smug mode...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Our survey says....

Note that this is a survey of 'merkins, so the level of intelligence is below that of the rest of the world to begin with... so I image 90% of US iPhone owners correspond to the intelligence of that banana over there. (there is no banana in the direction I'm indicating, thus showing the amount of intelligence I'm referring to).

In another recent survey, 100% of people questioned think that iPhone owners are likely to be stuck-up egotistical tw@s with too much money!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Small frys

Sorry to say this Apple Fanboys but the number of Apple phones sold in a year is same as Nokia is selling in a week!

Apple OS is use by few people, Microsoft OS use by a lot more.

Apple phone is use by few people, Nokia phones is use by a lot more.

Is there a patten here?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In other news...

In other news, purchasers of a new $750 study were shown to be more affluent, better looking, and had better teeth than those reading about said study for free on the Internet.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

LMFAO

The suckers who pay the Apple Tax are above us huh?

Whooptie-fucking-doo!

The real nerd cleverness in this world is to accomplish more with less.

...not same with more ;)

if you catch my drift...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems Obvious

So, those who own an expensive luxury good are more likely to make $70k+? Shocker! And the college education statistic will follow the income statistic, so nothing surprising there.

I think my favorite statistic is "internet access." Given the quality of internet access on a "dumbphone" (especially within the walled gardens) versus a "smartphone," is anyone really surprised in the wildly different percentages?

I did a survey that shows that Mercedes owners make more than Ford owners. Where's my $750?

17. Doug Glass
    Go

Young, Welthier, Better Educated ...

... and still have more money that brains.

18. h 6
    Stop

I don't know

I have an iphone and make quite a bit less than 70k, and I'm 37. But I do have a masters degree. So 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

19. SkippyBing

Just to confirm

iPhone owners are still c***s right? They just aren't as much better off as they thought they were?

20. Player_16
    Paris Hilton

@ AC 21:54 Small frys

"Sorry to say this Apple Fanboys but the number of Apple phones sold in a year is same as Nokia is selling in a week!"

Sorry to say Apple has, at most, 3 models of phones to Nokia's 30+ models to choose from.

Is there something you're trying to point out here because it's blatantly obvious without using a calculator how the numbers stack up in Nokia's favor. Nokia would LOVE to have those numbers with one or two phones. But instead they would rather have a range of phones for a range of people. Apple would rather have a range of app's for a range of people that buy their meager range of communicating products.

21. Bartelby-wasPiLS
    Jobs Horns

So where do I stand?

I don't make gazillions but I'm reasonably wealthy, I do keep a PhD diploma in a drawer somewhere in case it could be useful someday, I do privately own >15 machines -of which a whopping two run MSwindows (one doesn't even dual-boot a real OS yet, but I got it only last week), none AppleOS nonsense, a couple OpenBSD, one DragonFly BSD and a couple more exotic stuff such as HURD or BlueBottle -the rest run various Linux distros. I also manage a whole lot more machines (mostly Windows ones, unfortunately) as part as my job, I therefore fancy myself as a reasonably wealthy, somewhat educated and moderately tech-litterate punter. I still don't own a *erm* mobe, let alone a smartphone (don't even get me started on the iPhone). Do I qualify for a prize or sumfin'? Like, a "I'm not a retarded teen-like peer-pressure-driven 30-yo social-status-addict twat"? I could put it on the shelf with my "no-life lab-and-'puter geek" trophy. My better half would be delighted. Or not. (but she's biased, she owns a MacBook).

22. brimful

A Fool

and his money are easily parted. By that statement alone I can infer that IPhone users are certainly

Younger, wealthier, better UNeducated...

23. Garret Cotter

@ Craig 12

Well said Sir... as the Reverend Bayes told us, P(A|B) != P(B|A)

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clever Folks Like SImple

Really clever folks admire simple versatile tools.

25. PPPie
    Flame

If you have a life?

But if you have a life, the last thing you care about is a gimmicky trendy lump of plastic that doesn't actually have much practical use. Regardless of how much you earn or how educated you are.

The iPhone, the biggest ever product for media fed sheeple that ever existed in all time.

Oh wow, i'm looking at a website on a screen a few inches across... jerk jerk jerk....

26. Asher Pat

El Reg's a proud Apple MC (Media Collaborator)

The Reg shud change its solgan to "Licking the hand that serves Kool-Aid", they are such Apple fanboys, esp the Olrlowski guy.

27. frank ly

@AC 19:43 re. Amazing

"Next they'll be telling us higher earners drive more expensive cars too."

I've noticed that. Do you think the two are related in some way....has anybody studied this?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Player_16

'Sorry to say Apple has, at most, 3 models of phones to Nokia's 30+ models to choose from.'

Umm, so Nokia sell 50 times as many phones from a range that's ten times the size, meaning Nokia outsell Apple 5 to 1 on a phone by phone basis but you think they'd love Apple's sales figures!

Now here's the conundrum, is it being an Apple fanboi that makes you stupid or do you have to be that dumb to become a fanboi? (My money's on the second)

Paris, even she can count better than a Cupertino koolaid drinker...

29. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I refuse to have an iPhone because it's locked to a single network

Where's the category for "don't like having their network dictated to them"?

30. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Face it, you

Face it everyone, you are simply smartphone amd dumbphone Chavs of the digital age living in Apple's world. Yea the first few of the seven stages to final acceptance includes denial and then resentment and great anger but hopefully you can all skip quickly over the crying and wailing phases and smoothly sail right into acceptance.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmmm

its intresting to see the slightly older generation going for smartphones that cover alot more bases

they are more intrested in versatility.

the point of an iphone is bling.

Yes they are slowly sorting the Issue out with Iphone and their inabilty to match a "dumbphone" for basic features.

So all in all the Iphone has got bugger all to do with intelligence it is a bling symbol to show off money and well thats it because if your spending a large amount of money on something that is semi functional, and you only buy it from hype well more the fool you.

may i remind you of the following story to show it has bugger all to do with inteligence

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/07/poor_man_buys_i_am_rich_app/

32. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Selfserving blx

'nuf said! - I'm an Apple mac User and would be embarrassed to be seen with an iPhone let alone waste hard earned buying one of the useless tools.

Phones make/receive calls and possibly texts. I have a computer for eMails & web access and a paper diary for events & contacts.

33. Frank Bough
    Dead Vulture

It rather occurs to me

that this article is based on the most unreliable survey I've ever come across, and was posted here purely to harvest traffic via Slashdot.

34. Sp1derba1t

Licence plates produced?

80UT T1M3 W3 GT 0UR 1337N355 R3C0GN15ED

THANX INIT :)

35. Scottie Taylor
    Jobs Horns

A numbers game

Seriously, this entire study is completely meaningless and in the end they more or less admit that. The survey was conducted with a brand new trendy hot item was first released and the only people who bought the things are:

1) The ultra trendy gotta have the latest fashion thing now types

2) The cultists of Jobs

3) A significantly smaller percentage of those who actually thought it was going to be a great phone to get for what they used a phone for and made an educated and informed buy.

So really, this study is utterly meaningless. Here's some survey data for you...

83% of iPhone users I know make less than $30k a year

100% of iPhone users I know are extremely dissatisified with at least a few things about it

90% of iPhone users I know do not have a college degree of any variety

100% of iPhone users I know do not drive a fancy car or pay $80 for a steak and baked potato

Startling... the iPhone users i know seem to be the complete and total freaking opposite of the ones this study identified. Gasp! Could it be that surveys are utterly meaningless? That they're full of lies, misrepresentations, mistruths and skewed numbers?

Sadly, I'm apparently not smart enough to answer my own rhetorical questions since I don't own an iPhone. I just use a standard smartphone. Woe is me. Maybe one of our all knowing all money making Cultists can give us the answers by putting the figures into their super nifty super amazing super priced comuptators. *eye roll*

I'll be over here doing stuff on my much cheaper phone while working on my much cheaper custom built PC.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I like THIS story

This really massages my ego, I've got an iPhone.

I'm now officially superior to the person I was on Thursday.

Excellent stuff, next week can you do a story on how people with Nintendo Wii, are superior to those without Nintendo Wii.

By this time next year I'll feel like Royalty.

Also could you now inform my boss about how he should be paying me 70k.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I'm everything a lot of Reg commenters hate it would seem

I'm a web developer. I like Windows Vista. I develop in PHP/MySQL. I have lots of very happy clients who pay me large amounts of money.

I earn a triple figure salary. I drive a nice car. I own an iPhone.

I often use Internet Explorer... I could go on. :)

38. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

As we all know...

Statistics can be used to reach any conclusion. And "50% of all statistics are made up" lol.

Let's face it, there's a lot more of the "dumb masses" out there lurking like zombies, and most of them have cell phones, including your elderly aunt, your 12-year-old niece, and the guy that tried to telemarket you or stunk to high heaven on the bus, that can hardly spell his or her own name. Most of these people are going to have the cheapest phone available from the cheapest provider available, and most business-provided phones for employees are going to be in this class as well, with the exception of higher-ups, who may get a Blackberry or "Blackberry-like" smartphone. So in this morass of mobile phone users, a lot of the "smart people making more than 70K" have cheap phones too, but their significance is lost or overwhelmed by the noise of all the other "dumb phone" users. If all of these statistics are included, the survey is accurate, but pretty meaningless, especially if you try to draw conclusions such as "smart people prefer the iPhone to other phones" or the like.

39. Mick F

@SkippyBing

You are right sir.

40. Fubar
    Jobs Halo

@Doug Glass

"... and still have more money that brains."

Based on your statement should I assume that you are an iPhone user or a retard?

41. Les Matthew
    Thumb Up

100% of dumbphone owners

laugh at the other two groups flaming each other.

42. bygjohn
    Stop

Re: Could it be...

"...that clever people tend to have more disposable income to risk on feature-poor but pretty tat?"

Oh please. When you've removed your blinkers, try taking a look at the App Store and OS 3.0, then consider just how dumb it is to call the iPhone feature-poor. When it launched, yes. Not now...

43. Paul Ross
    Pirate

losers

i pay £20/month for unlimited internet and lots minutes. Win mobile phone bought sim free.

But iphoner is superior paying £50? haha.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone want to bet Apple "hinted" the research?

No doubt they specified that only smartly dressed iPhone users in a business district should be surveyed ;)

45. Dustin 1
    Paris Hilton

This survey.....

just goes to suppport my theory, Apple products are the Calvin Clien or Guess $80 Tshirt of the PC industry. More readily, wealthy people will buy what you make them think is a product of greater worth, yet is not. More cost conscience people will look towards desired function at a good price point. Buying these items and feeling that ones status is changed one way or another is a false reality. Oh, and college education is no indication of intelligence or common sense, look at George Bush.

iBet Paris has an iPhone, at least one somewhere.

46. Mark 65

So

iPhone owners are better educated are they? Says a lot for their education that they end up paying the price of a laptop for a fucking phone doesn't it?

47. James Pickett
    Jobs Horns

UK inversion

Strange, but where I work, only the chavs have iPhones...

48. tom 102
    Thumb Down

IPHONE SUCKS

what i fail to understand is why people would want one of these, however much you earn. as the simple fact of the matter is THEY ARE CRAP i personly have the HTC touch pro, and am waitogn on new form archos. so they need to do a study not on earning s but on weather they are idots and then let the numbers speak

49. James Woods

100% apple free

Well im pretty sure my everyday life is 100% apple free. No lame apple computers, no apple servers? no apples on the counter.

Surveys like this would encourage me even more to has nothing to do with companies that have a need to brag about it's statistics. Perhaps apple would like more in depth surveys, how many of these 70K+ earners are white or black. What are their religions?

What is the male/female ratio? C'mon let's go a little deeper on this one.

Oh yeah what percentage are gay? Just a thought.

50. Charles Manning
    Thumb Up

I'm going to buy 2!

That should get me on a $140k income.

Damn good investment!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like