Feeds

back to article Junior astronomer spots junior supernova

A 14-year-old student from New York state has become the youngest person in history to discover a supernova. And her find is also one of the most peculiar supernovae spotted to date. For a massive stellar explosion, this one appears to be a dud. Using a relatively small telescope, Caroline Moore spied the faint object located …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Boffin

Where's the critical data?

"...Using a relatively small telescope, Caroline Moore ..."

Astronomy buffs reading your piece will be completely uninterested in Miss (presumably) Moore's age. What they will want to know is, 'How big was her telescope?'.

Really, that information is most important. Someone of any age can pick up a new dot on a big system - it takes skill to do it on a smaller one.....

how do you report these things?

999: Which emergency service do you require?

14 year old: the supernova task force

999: one second

supernova task force: what is the nature of your nova emergency?

14 year old: i have spotted a nova at <coordinates>, confirmed by my dad

supernova task force: thank you for your report, we will pass this on to astronomers worldwide to observe and take readings

Happy

Re: how do you report these things?

I believe the International Astronomical Union (IAU) normally handles this sort of thing.

Coat

Shouldn't she...

...be on the park with the other hoodies drinking cider and causing mayhem? I don't know the educated youth of today!

Joke

Vogons did it...

Perhaps it was simply demolished to make way for a new hyperspace bypass...

Boffin

Aperture?

And pretty cool - I mean, I'm still at the "look, isn't it pretty" stage - to notice a new dot takes some serious interest and work, never mind how old (or young) the astronomer in question.

Silver badge
Coat

So what is it...?

It's not a Nova. It's not a SuperNova.

Perhaps it's a "NotVerySuperNova"?

Go Caroline!!!

"Astronomers hope the newest generation of telescopes and instruments will spot much more of this type of event in the next few years."

Yeah sure... like when you point your giant penis extensions in the right direction.

SN 2008ha? No... actually it is spelt Caroline.

Silver badge

@ Mike007

Details here http://deer-pond-observatorie.wetpaint.com/page/The+story+about+SN2008ha

Oh..

SN 2008ha: An Extremely Low Luminosity and Extremely Low Energy Supernova

Authors: Ryan J. Foley, Ryan Chornock, Alexei V. Filippenko, Mohan Ganeshalingam, Robert P. Kirshner, Weidong Li, S. Bradley Cenko, Pete Challis, Andrew S. Friedman, Maryam Modjaz, Jeffrey M. Silverman, W. Michael Wood-Vasey

I'll miss out the boring stuff... Disinterested people might wish to scroll to the end...

Paper Content.

Here is some more boring stuff....

References...

OF COURSE MY COMMENT IS TOO FUCKING LONG THERE ARE TOO MANY FUCKING KLINGONS REFERENCED IN SUPPORT OF THE CRAP CONTAINED IN THE PAPER.

And..... being IT literate..... F3, on the full PDF paper, finds no instance of Caroline.

????

Boffin

ccd images from a 40cm scope

SUPERNOVA 2008ha IN UGC 12682

T. Puckett, Ellijay, GA, U.S.A.; Caroline Moore, Warwick, NY, U.S.A.; and Jack

Newton, Portal, AZ, U.S.A., report the discovery of an apparent supernova

(mag 18.8) on unfiltered CCD images (limiting mag 19.4) taken with a 0.40-m

reflector at Portal on Nov. 7.17 UT in the course of the Puckett Observatory

Supernova Search.

Coat

Sisters...

are doing it for themselves.

The glittering gold retro 80s one please.

Happy

Well Done that Girl

or should I say -young person .

She obviously has a great knowledge of the sky to pick out a new star appearing in her telescope.

Why don't we get told the size and type? I expect that is not important to the author of the article.

She may have a bright future in Astronomy if she decides on that a a career.

Joke

Run for it!!

By the looks of things stars and planets are exploding with an alarming regularity. Simple mathematics dictate that it's only a matter of time before it's us next.

Either that or we get gatecrashed by Mars....

Silver badge

Naming

I hope that from now on, this type of object/process will be called a Caroline Nova, or maybe a Carolinian Nova. (There is already a very well known Moore in astronomy so that name shouldn't be used.)

Happy

Re: how do you report these things?

It's easy,

Have you never seen Deep Impact?

Movie

Too bad none of our telescopes have video cameras. It would be so cool to see what this looks like

Silver badge

"SN 2008ha"

Couldn't they name the thing after Ms. Moore or something?

Silver badge

Size is the most important thing....

Dodgy Geezer's right - how big was her instrument?

Silver badge
Coat

Novelty (Super) Nova?

couldn't resist, sorry

Mine's the one with the Celestron C8 guider in the pocket

Boffin

I don't know...

All those reports, I though it was simply impossible to get kids interested in science and engineering. Especially girls. That's why all those special awards for women involved in science and engineering had to be set up, because clearly the only way to get them involved is to have a "Britain's got female engineering talent" back-slapping contest.

Oh wait - actually, if they're interested in it, then they *will* do it. And be pretty damn good at it too.

Joke

@NotVerySuperNova

How about the Chevrolet Nova- to Quote Phillip J Fry of Futurama fame: "I've never seen a supernova blow up before, but if it's anything like my old Chevy Nova it'll light up the night sky!".

CDG

Novae

I did a PhD in classical novae and can tell you its not that unusual for amateurs to spot novae or novae like objects. You dont need a big telescope to do it (in fact it is 'easier' without - you want sky coverage not the ability to spot faint objects) as the objects are usually visible with the naked eye. What you need is coverage of the night sky and the knowledge of the normal star patterns to be able to spot new objects.

There used to be a vicar in the UK who used to spot quite a few novae. He had an incredible knowledge of the night sky and a pair of binoculars.

Boring, but true

Silver badge
Alien

Skinner furious

Six hours, nineteen minutes, right ascension, fourteen degrees, fifty-eight minutes declination! ...no sighting. Did you get that one Bart?

Joke

right

So this explosion is more like the backfire from a vauxhall nova , than the massive release of energy from a super nove?

Fair play to the kid though, if she has discovered a new tyoe fo explosion IAU should give her naming rights.

Coat

mininova

How about mininova.

Happy

Disaster Area ... ??

Looks like the Great Disaster Area comeback tour has finally hit the road!!

Silver badge
Flame

You are all wrong

That was the nearest intelligent life to earth starting their LHC at full power

Bronze badge

"...finds no instance of Caroline."

Hard to tell if you're being dim on purpose, so I'll treat this as a legit comment. The paper referenced is not the paper outlining her discovery, it is a paper on the make-up of the supernova itself (although, El Reg, it would have been nice to have a pointer to Moore's notification).

And she is referenced as the co-author of the discovery notification in the references section, as she should be, as "Moore, C.".

In other words, she's being treated as a real member of the community. Which she is.

I must apologise for my oversight

Due to being thick and looking for Caroline.

And take the opportunity to moan that her name is not more prominant.

Gets the prize

Well done, that lass. They all look alike to me! Gotta be very knowledgeable to have come up with THAT discovery.

This topic is closed for new posts.