Aspartame IS Toxic
Let's see, aren't we just "bags of water"? Is not normal body temp 98 Deg F?
Aspartame breaks down into Phenylalanine, Aspartic acid and Methyl Alcohol in the presence of water and temperatures over 90 Degrees F. This is why you usually do not see Nutrasweet in fountain dispensers since the syrup breaks down rapidly. They use other artificial sweeteners or just sugar based syrups.
Methanol later breaks down into Formaldehyde (embalming fluid) and Formic Acid (Ant venom).
Methyl Alcohol will make you blind. That's what the FDA was drinking when they approved Nutrasweet
This is why diet anything tastes like chemicals (or sewage).
Hopefully you remember your chem prof telling you "You go home with Ethyl and leave methyl alone" .
PKU stands for Phenyl Ketone Urea a disease where your body cannot process (excrete) the breakdown byproducts of Aspartame (among other chemicals). This can plug up your kidneys and kill you.
All forms of sugar are naturally occuring molecules (sucrose, dextrose, fructose, maltose etc) so they have been around since time immemorial and humans have been ingesting them since we discovered our first sweet tooth (just before fire and the wheel).
If it comes out of a test tube, it's probably not good for you.
No one really knows what happens to complex chemicals once they have been ingested and mixed together in the bloodstream.
Add some acetominiphen (Tylenol) to the above mix and all hell might break loose. Add a little booze to regular use of large dose Tylenol and you could eventually end up on dialysis if you're not careful.
Flame icon for OBVIOUS reasons