Globalfoundries, AMD's fab spin-off, has officially pledged to start construction of New-York-state plant targeting bleeding-edge 32nm and smaller-process silicon. The company said Tuesday it sent a formal commitment letter to the state of New York for the construction of Fab 2 facilities at the Luther Forest Technology Campus …
The chips will be out of date before they're first pressed...
2-3 years plus another year to get online with volume production beginning sometime in 2012??
This can't seriously be used for cutting-edge x86 production? Intel will be shipping 32nm Nehalem-based mobile processors and Atoms in late 2009 with volume in Q1 2010. Instead of spending a billion dollars on equipment that will be obsolete before it is even ready, shouldn't this plant be built for at least 22nm ? Is 22nm process equipment available?
Paris cause she's fab-u-lous
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Updated + vids WHOA: Get a load of Asteroid DX110 JUST MISSING planet EARTH
- 10 years of Facebook Inside Facebook's engineering labs: Hardware heaven, HP hell – PICTURES
- Very fabric of space-time RIPPED apart in latest Hubble pic
- Massive new AIRSHIP to enter commercial service at British dirigible base