The Register uses cookies. Find out more.

back to article Facebook to offer vanity URLs

Facebook is letting users customize their profile URLs starting this weekend. Vanity web addresses will be dispensed on a first-come-first-served basis, replacing the random string of digits used by the social networking site now. Starting Saturday, June 13 at 12:01 a.m. EDT (4:01 a.m. GMT), Facebook users may procure a custom …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Missed a trick???

I'm sure Facesuck could have charged £1 or so for this, they might actually have made some money for a change. Not that I would have paid (dont use it anyway) but im sure lots of morons, I mean users would.

Thumb Down

I'd rather...

.. register my own domain. At least then I have control over my web presence.

@Steven

That's got to be the world's worst signal to noise ratio in a comment.

Thumb Up

Hmm

Have to say I'm quite surprised they didn't charge for this. Seems rather a good idea.

Bronze badge

Copy Cats

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/09/register_comments_handling/

Still at least Steven could have become 'Steve_ is_ Brill' rather than Steven003.

@Dee Sobek

What - code an entire social networking site yourself? Good luck!

Stop

Shouldnt they..

... Charge for it???

Anonymous Coward

@Steven @Michael I agree they should have charged

I agree with you guys they certainly have missed a trick. Perhaps the free offer is for a limited period? Perhaps they feel that people wouldn't cough up initially but will once they can't be without the "vanity" as the article says.

Paris Hilton

@Rod MacLean

*doh* course not. I'd rather set up www.deesobek.com and list my presence in facebook, twitter and all other places I can be found. Rather than rely on facebook as my main online presence or have it compete with my own domain when my name is googled.

Paris - cos she'd have understood..

saw this coming

am surprised this hasn't happened sooner, pretty much all social networks already offer this

they could have made a lot of money charging users to have a personalised homepage, thier marketing guys will be kicking themselves now... lol

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums