Feeds

back to article T-Mobile hack data is genuine

T-Mobile has confirmed that files posted on a full disclosure mailing list are genuine - but the company fails to explain whether or not cybercriminals really got full access to its systems, IDG reports. Hackers published system config files from T-Mobile's US network on Saturday along with claims they had compromised the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gold badge

No need - all you need is an insider

These guys deal in fear. Disclosure costs a company gazillions in lost customer confidence and bad publicity. If I were to run a job like that I'd buy myself some good quality inside files from a techie in ops, which is a cheap investment. Mostly beer and some threats to relatives - job done.

At that point you have data to make it credible you have somehow managed to hack into the core, and after that it's balancing publicity, security and so haggling.

Cheap, high return on investment, and no real need to be 'l33t' hackorz.

Most companies don't manage systems tight enough to disprove your claim, so they would either have to won up to that or pay.

And here endeth today's lesson about thinking like a criminal.

Anonymous Coward

Does anyone

know of any way to be sure that your data isn't included in this?

I've been putting off cancelling t-mobile purely because of the hassle involved, this seems a good a reason as any to do it.

First I've heard of this.

I find it amazing that this is the first I've heard of this, and I'm a T-Mobile customer. I wonder if this was the stolen database that required my credit card to be replaced.

Anonymous Coward

@AC 12:25

Door. Horse. Bolted.

Happy

a way out!

finally a way out out of their stinking contracts!

Unhappy

I don´t like T-Mobile.....

But to be fair, the List that they have can probably found on dozens of admins laptops.

You just need a disgruntled admin who copied the list onto his home PC.

to give just a plain server list, is probably just as god, as if I were to say, I have broken into Fort Knox, here is a picture of the reception area.....

People really are gullible these days....

This topic is closed for new posts.