back to article Intel tries again with flash cache

Intel has a new flash memory I/O acceleration system - codenamed Braidwood - coming for its CPUs, according to reports from Computex in Taiwan. It is a flash memory cache, possibly up to 16GB capacity, that caches I/O from the processor so that data in the I/O is available more quickly when it is next needed. Intel first tried …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

ohhh - in a good way

how long till they can move the whole os onto a seperate dedicated SAS array !

and leave our storage devices for storage and whatnot !

Anonymous Coward

@ my fellow AC

how about the whole OS lives in some chips on the motherboard. You could call it something like, oh, I don't know "firmware".

Joke

16GB flash? Woohoo, bring it on!

Now we are talking. The whole OS, applications and whatnot now goes straight to cache running at 1.3GHz+. Cool. No more DDR3 ram to buy now, heh?

At this size, the cache BECOMES the main memory, right?

Seriously, didn´t you mean 16MB (instead of GB) cache?

Can you imagine the size of the uncore to fit this sucker? How long before a OS seller creates an OS so large that will occupy that sort of size too?

Happy

@firmware

would that be the BIOS your talking about ??

I was talking about an OS of a somewhat larger scale than dos :P

i5

Lynnfield ie core i5 comes out in September along with the P55 chipset mobo's... not in 2010.

P55

"Our understanding is that the P55 is one of five models in the single chip 5-Series chipset family...".

That's funny. My understanding is that the P55 was the Pentium with MMX instructions.

Obsolete before arrival

SSDs will make this obsolete before it arrives. I doubt there will be many laptops apart from the very low-end that are still sold with rotating hard drives by the end of 2010.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums