back to article Qualcomm joins Microsoft in smartbook fantasy

Qualcomm's conversion from Java competitor to paid-up club member seems complete, thanks to its new-found interest in "smartbooks." The company, which once cooked up the Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless (BREW) to try and challenge Sun Microsystems' Java, has announced the early access release of Java Platform Standard …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My Memory Is Failing Me...

Didn't Qualcomm used to make lawnmowers?

2. Name

Snapdragon is great

The currently available Snapdragon system-on-a-chip uses a custom 1.0-1.3 Ghz ARM processing core (ARMv7 instruction set) with a 600mhz DSP and dedicated video encode/decode logic. the CPU core is a next-generation design that uses the ARMv7 "Cortex" generation instruction set. It it said to be very similar to the standardized Cortex-A8 core, but a bit faster

Overall, the processor is similar to the highest-end Texas Instruments OMAP3 series.

The future Snapdragon that is sampling in H2/2009 is a dual-core MP CPU running both cores at 1.5Ghz. T.I.'s OMAP4 is also a dual-core Cortex-A9 architecture, though the fastest in the series runs at 1.0Ghz.

3. Andus McCoatover
    Thumb Down

Not Java, Pleeeth!

"Write Once, Run Anywhere, Fuc*king Slowly".

(What's the difference 'twixt Java's Beans and QBasic's Tokens?)

4. Torben Mogensen

Foleo

Foleo failed for three reasons:

- It was over-priced

- It was under-powered.

- It was marketed as a mobile phone companion, not as a stand-alone device.

The so-called "smartbooks" are (if the hype can be believed) neither over-priced nor under-powered, and they are not intended to rely on connection to a phone.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dead end?

Historical dead end like the Psion 5, but with OMAP3/4 or Snapdragon and a transreflective or PixelQi colour screen? I'd buy one...so long as I can load custom firmware.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Snapdragon is great

so cut'n'paste of Qualcomm's sales blurb achieves what exactly?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like