back to article Intel paying $884m for Wind River?

Financially struggling chip maker Intel is paying $884m to take over embedded operating system supplier Wind River Systems. Why would it do that, you may ask. Well, the best answer, of course, is because it can. Intel's launching and continuing support of the Moblin variant of Linux for netbooks shows that the chip maker knows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Not entirely surprising

VxWorks is the core of IOS-KR. That sort of thing is nice to have in house

Anonymous Coward

@Rupert Fiennes...

I think you mean "QNX's Neutrino" and "IOS-XR", so er... no. VxWorks has plenty of successful implementations, but that isn't one of them.

Linux

@Rupert

IOS XR does use QNX, never heard about KR thing though (except the K&R C of course).

Silver badge

They don't know what they're getting

There's an awful lot of stuff out there with an awful lot of investment behind it that uses VxWorks on chips that aren't from Intel. They're using ARM and PowerPC, even 68000! And those things and their developers with decades of ecosystem behind them aren't about to switch to an Intel chip just because VxWorks has been bought, even if Intel withdraw VxWorks-PowerPC, VxWorks-ARM, etc.

If Intel do withdraw that support I expect a lot of things will migrate to Greenhill's Integrity OS. It's not too dissimilar to VxWorks, and does support all those other CPUs that don't belong to Intel.

Is this all a symptom of Intel having ditched XScale, regretting it, not admitting the mistake, trying to cover it up with their creation of Atom, realising that Atom is a mistake too, and trying to cover that up by buying a key OS vendor with a view to force developers on to Atom? They'll have to buy all the other real time OSes too, and that'll look anti-competitive...

Intel have a lot of work to do to make x86 fit the same niches as ARM and PowerPC. Atom doesn't even come close.

Silver badge
Alert

MontaVista next

to be sucked into some "black hole" then.

struggling?

I'm not sure how one paints Intel as "financially struggling". it's maintained profitibility, has cash in the bank, and is continuing to do research.

Boffin

Full circle

Intel used to have their own POSIX-ey RTOS - iRMX - until the 90s when they flogged it off, deciding operating systems weren't worth the hassle.

Alert

Just another iteration

I wonder if Intel will do to Wind River what Wind River has done with everyone they have bought out. About the worst news an embedded developer can get is "Wind River is buying out your RTOS vendor" since you get to start all over again.

Silver badge

@Anonymous Coward

> "Wind River is buying out your RTOS vendor"

Yes, I remember that too. Still, at least they weren't saying that you had to change processor too (at least not very much).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums