back to article Her Maj honours NZ wizard

Her Maj Queen Liz II has seen fit to honour NZ's Ian Brackenbury Channell - who's better known in Christchurch as "The Wizard". The 76-year-old will henceforth be known as The Wizard QSM after securing a Queen’s Service Medal for services to the community, specifically for donning a black cape and hat, hitting Cathedral Square …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James
    Happy

A wizard ?

... you mean a real wizard ! Not a two dimensional window that just leads you through a process like you were terminally thick and is as incapable of casting any form of spell, or returning rings to their rightful places as a slug!

2. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Down

So, the queen honours random nutters

but Stephen Fry is still not knighted :(

3. DutchOven

Wizard?

If he was a real wizard then he would have cast a spell on her majesty that would have planted the idea of giving him a several million dollar "donation" instead of just a wimpy little medal...

4. Joel
    Thumb Up

Oh that's just...

Absolutely fantastic! Good one Queeny!

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Oninoshiko
    Coat

Re: Wizard?

no, silly, a real wizard has no need for such petty things. On the other other hand a sterling silver effigy of a monarch, provided by said is a powerful talisman indeed!

Mine's the one on the empty hook...

7. Fozzy
    Coat

If we was from Australia......

He would be known as "the Wizard of OZ'

forget the coat I'm outta here before I get pelted with the rotten fruit

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@ bazza 18:52 gmt

Nah but evil count Boris did spring to mind :)

9. Rich
    Thumb Up

Blanket man next

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Hana)

Not to mention cammo lady...

10. Adrian Esdaile
    Thumb Up

Three cheers for England! oh, and New Zealand!

For being probably the last two places on Earth safe for genuine eccentrics.

Yes, Stephen Fry *should* have one, but even I shy away from his incessant Twitter.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Gandalf the sheep

No, he's "the Wizard of NoZ'

12. Charles Manning

No she doesn't

AFAIK, The Corgi Lady does not actually do the honouring since she doesn't make the choices.

As with many international brands, the Queens' Honours List just uses her name. In return we continue to broadcast her Christmas message.

[Punctuation Nazi Notes: ' at the end of Queens' because of that royal plural thing].

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its what we in NZ call "Care in the Community",...

ie. releasing harmless nutters into the local area to allow them to assimilate into society and generally divorce the social services of responsibility for them.

He's just a shameless self-promoter, but without Richard Bransons squillions. We've all got them.

14. Daniel Wilkie

To be fair...

I doubt the queen has much involvement in the process anymore, uk.gov seem keen to take everything else away from the royals so it wouldn't surprise me if this is just political nowadays as well. Or maybe I'm cynical...

15. MarkJ
    Flame

What, no honours for Martin Bennett and Stephen Hardman?

Of course you have to know Christchurch to understand why.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like