back to article MP 'devastated' over Facebook profile hack

A backbench Tory MP was left "devastated" after his Facebook account was hacked. Michael Fabricant, 58, spoke of his anguish in a posting on his personal website last week. The Lichfield MP's Facebook profile was suspended after his account was pwned by hackers and used to send malicious spam to his 1,500 contacts. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge

What a fantastic name for an MP:

Fabricant: One who fabricates?

2. Niall

Outlawed from cyberspace!

Melodramatic much? If only it was so easy to outlaw them in real life

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

They should track the hacker down

they should track the hacker down and throw 'em in prison

my friend's facebook account was also hacked - this is not cool

4. Sooty

among those who claimed the least

It's not really that comforting though to follow the link provided and realise that he's still claimed pretty much the country's average salary, year on year, as "additional costs".

5. Matthew
    Coat

Fabricant

That sounds like a made up name anyway

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Oh my lord!

An MP was one of the thousands and thousands of people to have their account hacked in this way (rough figure judging by the 5 similar messages I received and deleted last week!) - we must do something to stop this awful awful man, group, or woman.

7. Tim Greenwood

Reasonable expense?

I haven't got the time to check any details but since Sooty did check the link to find that he claimed an average salary as "additional costs" is this indeed a salary paid to a staff member as costs?

MP's are an easy target at the moment but some are not as bad as others.

8. Fluffykins Silver badge

Page containing malware?

That'll be his expenses report, then?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Joint 1st? 4 years out of 6

Anyone else notice that his "Additional Costs Allowance" is Joint 1st 4 times over the last 6 years?

Being individually 1st four times in six years could be put down to over-exuberance but joint 1st for seemingly random sums (23,083 £22,110 £20,902 £19,722) suggests that he, and others, were taking the absolute maximum they could.

Would be interesting to see if the others who were joint 1st were the same individuals.

10. Stephen Gray
    Thumb Down

Slightly stupid?

How about not clicking on links that say Look at this!!

11. ElFatbob

devastated?

..at the hacking of his faceberk profile?

ffs.

12. Greem
    Thumb Down

News?

Gullible member of the public (which all MPs are, after all) falls for scam on social networking site. Film at 11.

What's more newsworthy is the fact that millions upon millions of people continue to fall for the "Look at this!" "Free Pr0n!" "You won a million zloty!" messages that they get from umpteen different sources. But, because they're not famous, this is somehow non-news.

Sigh.

13. Sooty

@ tim greenwood

nope, that would come out of the other 73,000 he claimed as a staffing allowance, year on year. Athough there is a good chance this was paid as a salary to a member of his own family.

14. Peyton

Interesting story

I hadn't realized just how antiquated the word "cyber" had become... till now.

15. adnim

Apologies

"This has never happened to me before and I can only apologise."

An MP apologising for the misdeeds of another, apologising for something which is not his fault, apologising for something he had no control over.

This seems pretty common, but what is as rare as rocking horse shit?

MP's apologising for things that are their fault and that they are responsible for.

16. Aortic Aneurysm

Is this...

the same sort of thing Bebo suffers from? as in "omg look at this picture of us so wasted last night" Only, I recieved this from someone I've not seen in 6 years and dont go out etween monday-friday drinking.

Idiots.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Fifty eight?

A 58 y/o politician, fifty eight?!!

What's he doing on kiddie-net (FarceBook)?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

.....Idiot

Its obviously an automated bot that is doing all the "hacking"

But obviously he ran the EXE his "friend" asked him to run.

What a dick

19. Fluffykins Silver badge

@Fifty Eight? - Anon Coward

Connecting wiv the younger generation - innit?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Taking the Michael

From the Telegraph's check list of MP's expenses:

"Michael Fabricant claims £700-£900 a month mortgage interest on Westminster flat. Splits maximum allowance between food and bills. Regularly claimed £240 in repairs when receipts only needed at £250"

Just one of the boys.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Oh good! Mischevious (is that a word now?) me?

Sent to Labour, Conservative and Libdems... >

I think it is fair to say we have been approached by several political parties seeking our vote in the European elections and I thought it wise to share a view with you.

It seems that when government funded bodies attract increased funds a rapid restructuring process starts in which wealth is distributed from the top down.

On the other hand when government funds dry up a slower restructuring process begins and it is usually from the bottom up.

Summarised pleasantly as:

+ wealth flows from the top down

- poverty flows from the bottom up

The view I'd like to share with you is or is based on:

+ there is no need under the present indebtedness of the country for any direct or indirect employee to earn more than 90,000 GBP

+ there is an excellent opportunity for elected members of any and all parliaments to demonstrate leadership and set an example by taking wage cuts conforming to the arbitrary figure given above of 90,000 GBP

+ people have reasonable expectation that government funded services will be delivered and standards maintained

+ it is the 21st century and previous or outmoded methods of dealing with budget cuts needs to be revisited this time respecting service procurement and provisioning along with expectations that standards are maintained

+ given the countrywide significance of these factors British royalty might also wish to conform to them but I'd guess that should be a free decision of each royal member without undue influence or pressure brought to bear

+ it is also a reasoned working method that will maintain service standards

+ it affords sufficient motivation to empowered individuals to meet need, meet budget constraint and meet due diligence in a leadership based way including the recently purchased finance sector of course

+ it beats the pants of alternatives

It can neatly be summarised as:

+ wealth flows from the top down

+ poverty flows from the top down

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like