back to article NASA marks 50th anniversary of monkey spaceflight

Fifty years ago today, two monkeys became the first mammals to successfully return to Earth after spaceflight, paving the way for manned missions. On May 28, 1959, Able, an American born rhesus monkey and Miss Baker, a Peruvian squirrel monkey were strapped into the nose cone of a liquid-fueled Jupiter missile by NASA scientists …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Now part of the animal kingdom

What no-one realises is that while they were up there, the monkeys claimed all of outer space for their species. Sadly as the monkeys didn't speak american and very few 'merkins speak Rhesus (and those who do are generally considered insane), the claim was never acknowledged.

I'm sure that in years to come when the monkeys achieve sentience, one of the first actions their lawyers will take is to reaffirm this stake - thus making them the dominant species on the planet

Dominance means being at the top of the gravity well, not the top of the food chain.

Thumb Up

Wonderful!

"My god, it's full of bananas"

Heart

Chimpanzee That

MONKEY NEWS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fh4df1e2so

Bronze badge

What about C & D ?

or Charlie and Dog as they would have been known then.

Thumb Up

Vote

Sub-heading of the month.

Happy

Another great sub-headline

That's all I have to say.

Joke

What next, monkeys that glow in the dark?

Err, yes actually

Paris Hilton

Bonsai monkey!

From that pic, it looks like NASA invented the Bonsai Monkey. Move over, Bonsai Kitten, you're 50 years too late!

Paris, because she knows all about monkey business...

Exhibit A

"Her body was stuffed and strapped once again into the capsule for exhibit at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington where it remains today."

So are they gonna do that with Neil Armstrong one day? Huh? Huh?

Darn speciesists!

Joke

I wonder?

If there's some sort of connection between Monkeys reaching space and the creation of COBOL, as they appear to have happened at abount the same time.

Go

Monkey Business

2001: A Space Banana

Emo

Awesome

Sub heading!

Joke

(as they say) if you Pay Peanuts...

you get monkeys!

looks like the addage works not only in IT but also with Rocket Scientists

Silver badge

Not the same.

Next time you're tempted to say "those chimps in government" remember that they really are not the same.

The furry real chimps are by far more intelligent.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums