back to article Police wrong to spy on peace campaigner

Photographs of a peace campaigner taken during a surveillance operation by the Metropolitan Police should be destroyed, because the images were a disproportionate infringement of his human rights. The court of appeal ruled yesterday in favour of Andrew Wood, who had committed no offence, the Beeb reports. Wood lost his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Very lucky for him

Charles de Menezes wasn't arrested either.

2. SuperTim
    Black Helicopters

Those pesky peace campaigners!

London would be overrun with peace campaigners, activists and protesters if it weren't for our boys in blue bravely pushing these unarmed and subserviant "thugs" to the floor and generally abusing their position of power and trust.

Gawd bless em.

3. Andy ORourke

Change the way...

"This can continue, but officers will have to change the way they keep such images."

Like the way they have to erase DNA profiles of innocent people?

So nothing is going to happen then

4. Ricky H
    Heart

fitwatch

http://www.fitwatch.blogspot.com

have a look :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

I thought we...

we beat the Nazi's :/

6. Hollerith

So, let me understand this...

He attended a meeting as a legitimate shareholder to voice his concerns, campaigns for peace, and had to go to court to stop the police holding information on him, on the basis that he had done nothing wrong.

Uh huh. Okay. Anybody not 100% for the Masters is 100% suspicious. He might destroy civilisation as we know it.

I feel for the guy because (1) the police will have a copy of everything (2) now they really hate his guts, for showing them up in public. He is doomed.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

SUFO SUFO SUFO!!!

Sell Up, Fuck Off. Spread the word! For anyone that's missed them: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/home-secretary-was-warned-of-mi5s-blackmailing-of-muslims-1689212.html -AND- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/exclusive-how-mi5-blackmails-british-muslims-1688618.html

I actually thought they had yet to stoop that low. I thought I was being far too cynical and depressed already. Seems the Totalitarian Stasi Hell-Hole plan for the UK is finally complete. See? It wasn't that painful! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcotizing_Dysfunction

Anon because I've got a fair bit of flying to do myself in coming months. And half my family are muslims. And I'm an intellectual. And I got off my arse and made my SUFO plans months ago.

(The one with the hidden recording kit in case I'm detained)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

Ok in many respects your government is more scary than dubya's was. And that's saying something.

9. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Up

The retention by the police of photographs...

... taken of persons who have not committed an offence, and who are not even suspected of having committed an offence, is always a serious matter

Good! And now for the fingerprints and DNA...

10. C. P. Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

Further to the comment by Hollerith, as I understand it, it is the right - even duty - of shareholders to attend AGMs, especially if they wish to lawfully bring about a change of policy by the management.

However, following considerable discussion here in 'The Register' and elsewhere, you cannot object to the police taking photographs in a public space - so long as they are for their private enjoyment ! You cannot have your cake and eat it.

Of course, the minute they start putting these images on a database you raise very real concerns about invasion of privacy and data protection. But the question that really intrigues me here is : How many shareholders, apart from Andrew Wood, were questioned by the police after the AGM ended ?

Chris Cosgrove

11. Andrew Austin

All your faces...

are belong to us. Somebody set us up the camera.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like