back to article Daimler buys ten per cent of Tesla

Mercedes-Benz maker Daimler AG has acquired a ten per cent stake in US e-car maker Tesla Motors for a “double-digit million Euro sum”. The pair today announced that, in the immediate future, Tesla will supply battery packs for Daimler’s Smart electric vehicle – scheduled for worldwide availability in 2012. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matthew

Company cars?

looking at the picture it seems that the recession is affecting Tesla less than Daimler... I know which of these two I'd prefer to drive home in.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Matthew, re: Company Cars

> I know which of these two I'd prefer to drive home in.

And I know which one you can actually buy.

Daimler dodged one bullet named Chrysler. You'd think "Once bitten, twice shy" wouldn't you?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

will the resulting vehicle

be called a smart-e-car? I want a blue one

4. Steve Todd

Lousy photo though

They should sack the photog responsible. Bad lighting, off level and a Mecedes logo growing out of the head of one of the subjects.

5. Vision Aforethought
    Happy

Well deserved...

...Daimler Benz started it all with regards to the internal combustion engine, and Tesla are the first company to make a serious practical electric vehicle, so what better a partnership. This is probably the best news for the planet in a long long while due to the strength it will give the leccy tech industry. Now we need Better Place to be factored into the equation too.

6. Jeff Munson
    Thumb Up

They're available

Over $100k U.S., but I've seen a few driving around S.F. Bay Area highways. Kinda odd to see a car go by silently that by right of its appearance should be rattling the windows...

This is great news. The battery and charging technology that Tesla has been working on seems promising, assuming we can get an infrastructure in place for the high-output charging stations (they're not the "plug-in-to-your-garage-outlet" type chargers).

7. Swanny

Bring it on!

As a petrol head I speak for alot of the non ingorant motoring enthusiasts that won't shed a tear when ICE disappears.

Some people are ready to ditch ICE some aren't, the doubters will join us soon enough

http://blog.autospeed.com/2009/04/03/my-driving-life-is-now-changed-forever/

This bloke has been in the modified car seen for as long as clarkson has been taking out his arse so thats a bloody long time!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was only a matter of time ...

... before Tesla partnered with someone. Daimler AG seems a reasonable choice.

This poses the question, what are the other German makes looking at doing? Will VAG (VW, Audi et al.) and BMW seek e-car partners or develop their own? I know VAG has an Audi R-Zero concept on paper and BMW did have a hydrogen burner, although that seems to have disappeared recently. Given the time it takes to get a completely new development to market, they'd better get a move on, IMHO.

9. Stephen Bungay

Not the same as Chrysler deal...

The sale of Chrysler to Daimler was, IMHO, a mistake made by the CEO of Chrysler who was spooked into shopping Chrysler around looking to sell the company to prevent a take-over, the threat of which never materialized.

In 1992 (the year Mr. Lee Iacocca retired) Chrysler was making money, almost a billion dollars a quarter; they had 4000 profitable dealers, a new 1.5 billion dollar research centre, and 12 Billion in the bank. Chrysler was one of the lowest cost producers and one of the most profitable car companies in the world. (see Lee Iacocca's book "Where Have All the Leaders Gone?", page 152. The Chrysler Corporation needed Daimler like they needed a bout of the bubonic plague.

Daimler also made a mistake here, there was no synergy in this takeover (and yes folks, a takeover is what it was). In the end both companies suffered, the deal should never have gone through and it was bad business for all involved.

Now with Tesla there is synergy. Daimler needs something that Tesla has (battery tech) and Tesla needs something Daimler has (money (and perhaps engineering chops (but I wouldn't count on getting that last one)). If I were Tesla I would look long and hard at the Chrysler experience before thinking about rummaging through Daimler's parts bin... because I don't think they will be given the opportunity to do much in the line of rummaging.

This is a win for Daimler, not so much for Tesla. Daimler can apply the Tesla technology and roll product out to the public through an established international dealer network. Tesla has yet to build a dealer network and needs to ramp up production to the point where average people can afford their vehicles.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@steve - the photo...

Nah, he's just decorated his halo with a three pointed star.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like