Feeds

back to article McAfee buys whitelisting firm Solidcore

Net security firm McAfee has bought whitelisting firm Solidcore for approximately $33m in cash, rising to $47m if sales targets are met. The deal was announced Friday, and is expected to close by the end of Q2 2009. It will allow MCafee to offer endpoint security technology to a broader range of embedded devices, including ATMs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

hmm

It sounds like a recipe for disaster, it's introducing an extra point of possible failure for any software distribution you perform. Lets face it, distributed deployments to thousands (servers), if not hundresds of thousands(clients) are hairy enough at the best of times.

All it takes is someone to forget to update the whitelist and you've just killed your entire atm network with an update. If you automate the process, what's to ensure that it's exactly the file you were expecting

Anonymous Coward

How often

do people try and install dodgy software on ATMs? Does it happen a lot?

Bronze badge

we use mcafee

:(

please take pity on me

Thumb Down

@AC hmm

Working in an environment where I'm seiously looking at Whitelisting (POS) I'd really hope that a bank or retailer would have an accceptance testing area that would iron that kind of issue out - I know we do.....

This topic is closed for new posts.