back to article Toshiba first with half-a-terabyte SSD laptop

Toshiba has begun selling what it claims is the first notebook to come with a 512GB solid-state drive as standard. You'll have to live in Japan - or know someone there - to get your mitts on the Dynabook SS RX2 WAJ, but if you manage it you not only get the aforementioned SSD but also a 1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SU9400 processor …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adrian Scarle
    Unhappy

Nearly choked on my elevenses...

How Much!!?? Think I'll wait for the price to drop a bit...

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Want!

I've always thought that rotating disks in laptops are a bit of a restriction. I wonder when we'll reach the tipping point where SSD becomes the norm? Prices will need to come down a way first, of course.

Paris, because she knows all about the advantages of added silicon. Allegedly.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Makes..

the Air look very cheap....

Runs from flames.....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rotating drive manufacturers have had it.

By the time we're out of this recession, SSDs will have taken over.

5. Ian Michael Gumby

@AC

I think that calling for the demise of 'rotating disks' is a bit premature.

SSDs still have their flaws. I guess if you can afford a $4,000 laptop, you could also afford to have an external raid of SSDs sitting on your desk top 'docking station' so you can back up your laptop's important data.

Several months ago HP announced a new storage technology that they were able to create within their labs. a memristor...

http://www.hpl.hp.com/news/2008/apr-jun/memristor.html

I did a quick google and found it.

If HP can bring this technology to the market, then you have a game changer.

But that technology is still a long way off. (Unfortunately)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I really can't wait for SSDs to become more affordable

(them coming cheaper or me becoming richer, I'm easy either way). Have a look on Youtube for videos of just how insanely fast applications can launch from an SSD. And that includes the OS

7. Simon Langley
    Thumb Down

£3k!

Good grief - three thousand pounds! That's 15 Acer Aspire Ones. It's even more than twice what I paid for my MacBook Pro - that's absolutely ridiculous.

It had better be very very good.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like