Feeds

back to article Conficker hype obscures sneaky botnet growth

Spammers and other cybercrooks are rebuilding their arsenal of compromised machines after suffering a setback with the takedown of cybercrime-friendly ISP McColo last November. Botherders have taken control of 12 million new IP addresses in the first quarter of 2009, a 50 per cent increase since the last quarter of 2008, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Coat

Ponder this

I blame Vista for this... and before you start egging me, let me explain...

While Vista was/is a steaming pile of crap for many reasons, in a lot of respects it was hardened against malware, to a better extent than XP was.

Because Vista WAS such a steaming pile of tripe, people held onto their XP boxes much longer, and thus gave a greater pool of boxes to infect with the plague.

Now that Win 7 has come out, and actually looks like it has legs, hopefully we will start seeing all the older XP boxes start to get replaced, and a slight drop in the pool of pwned machines.

I know I am dreaming, but its nicer in my dream world, now I will go back to getting my massage from Keria Knightley, and Kate Moss.

Mines the one with the Win 7 RC 1 DVD in the pocket...

Flame

Oh Gee

You mean the hype and over reaction to conficker had a down side???? /gasps Say it ain't so?? Wow who would have ever though that would happen? I mean.... Well now that you mention it, anyone with an ounce of common sense who didn't buy into totally ridiculous amount of hype it generated could have told you that.

Boffin

Volumes

"Compared with the same quarter a year ago, junk mail volumes are down 20 per cent in Q1 2009"

No Way! I've observed a nasty surge in Spam hitting my server over Q1 this year. (Having said that, last years logs are long ago archived so can't back that up with stats...)

I had attributed the surge to this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/14/symantec_threat_report/

Boffin

Numbers

Claiming large number of IP address infections makes for a good scary headline, but isn't necessarily a good measure of how many actual computers are infected. Recent analysis of the Torpig botnet – by researchers who aren't affiliated with any antivirus vendor – found a roughly 10-to-1 ratio. [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/04/torpig_hijacked/]

Gold badge
Happy

Any word on the UK's most important infestation?

That being the Houses of Parliament of course.

N
Bronze badge

@ UK's most important infestation?

No but rumour has it Kent has his hand up JSs skirt

Gold badge
Unhappy

@N

"No but rumour has it Kent has his hand up JSs skirt"

And I thought him being hand-in-blouse with her was unpleasant enough.

*shudder*

This topic is closed for new posts.