With only two companies in the world who make host adapters for networking servers to external storage - and one of them trying to shake off a hostile takeover - it is no surprise that the other one is rumored to be the target for a takeover too. Barron's, the offshoot of the Wall Street Journal that used to be a weekly paper …
stingy but not that stingy.
"Emulex has a market capitalization of $862.6bn as we go to press"
I think that should be a few orders of magnitute lower, yahoo puts it at $866.72 million right now.
Oracle ...... just for the hell of it. Sorry, I mean, to add to the Sun Storage proposition
Cisco ..... just to annoy everyone else and seize another part of the market
IBM .. to stop anyone else doing it
EMC .. ditto
HP ... ditto
Qlogic .... to really really upset the antitrust police
There are three FC host card vendors
Brocade also makes Fibre Channel host bus adapter cards.
It would make more sense for EMC to buy Emulex, which only makes FC HBAs and embedded FC switches for storage arrays. QLogic also makes FC switches which target the small and medium enterprises, as well as HPC focused InfiniBand switches.
I would not be surprised for Juniper to look at QLogic. IBM might be a player, since QLogic makes FC blade switches for IBM. Another potential would be for QLogic to acquire another company, especially one with Ethernet expertise. Blade Network Technologies and QLogic have similar business models.
Only two cmpanies making host adapters?
Please do your research next time.
There are three
- +Comment Trips to Mars may be OFF: The SUN has changed in a way we've NEVER SEEN
- Vid Google opens Inbox – email for people too stupid to use email
- Back to the ... drawing board: 'Hoverboard' will disappoint Marty McFly wannabes
- Pic Forget the $2499 5K iMac – today we reveal Apple's most expensive computer to date
- Google+ goes TITSUP. But WHO knew? How long? Anyone ... Hello ...