back to article Firefox finds more pesky bugs

Mozilla Corporation has released a new version of Firefox in order to remove a bug found just a week after an updated version of the browser was released. Firefox 3.09 was released last Wednesday. It fixed nine security holes, one of which was considered "critical". It was also meant to be more stable than previous versions. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Bit slow there reg

This is old news

2. Big Bear
    Linux

Ahhh...

That explains why one machine went to 3.0.9 and another went up to 3.0.10 - no admin rights the first machine so no auto-update including no “Check for updates” option… I set it up during a paranoid phase of my life…

On a side note, I don’t hear the usual squealing slagging off the browser under scrutiny that normally occur when this kind of story breaks for certain other browsers! What’s good for the goose has killed the penguin, obviously.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Is it news at all?

Firefox seems to have the patching process very well sorted. It works unobtrusively and you crack on with your browsing

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It may be slightly old news

but it is good that it is reported, and people keep up to date with the latest version.

5. Alistair
    Stop

Please don't call it a "glitch"

El Reg, you are catching the beeb disease.

A glitch is a transient analogue phenomenon that effects electronic circuits. What the Firefox crew inserted is what's technically known as a bug. Although these days the term "pepperoni slice" would be more appropriate.

Please make better use of your NUJ-issue thesaurus.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

@Big Bear

"On a side note, I don’t hear the usual squealing slagging off the browser under scrutiny that normally occur when this kind of story breaks for certain other browsers!"

--Why would anyone? Mozilla was made aware of a problem and fixed it in a very timely fashion. Not weeks after it had been exploited to death or users had grown hoarse complaining about it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

well...

"Why would anyone" - why would anyone for the other browsers, but they still do.

can we have a hypocrit icon?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Alistair

If you're going to be pedantic, it was actually a regression fault caused by accidentally reintroducing a previously known bug.

9. Wize

@Matthew

Very true.

Firefox lets you install an update with the option of restart the browser now or wait for you to restart it.

Anything MS does demand an instant reboot with annoying popups if you don't do it straight away.

10. JP Strauss
    Black Helicopters

I'm getting sick of the MS/everyone else debate

Why don't we just all whip out our penises (penii?) and see who the real men are once and for all?

11. nigel
    Dead Vulture

Windows launch set to replace command line MS-DOS

Also there is a flood coming, see if your pet can get space aboard the arc.

12. Wibble

They were quick

That bug was a right PITA for web developers; couldn't view source and the only workaround was to remove the invaluable HTML validator addin.

Nice to see them fix it so quickly.

13. David Viner Silver badge

Killing the MS reboot demand - whose PC is it anyway?

The MS "Reboot Now/Later" annoyance can be killed (on XP anyway) by running the following in a command prompt:

net stop wuauserv

This stops the Windows update service. You can also create a batch file containing the above line and make a short cut to it from the desktop. After updating windows click the "Restart Later" option and then run the line or batch file, and you won't be annoyed (well, not by that particular pop-up anyway). The windows update service will start as normal after the next restart (which you will do when YOU want to do it and not at Microsoft's nagging insistence).

David

14. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

From FireFox to DampSquib in three years

It's caught the mange, I fear.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Yes, but...

Have they fixed the crap new URL bar?

Firefox 2 FTW.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like