back to article 'iPhone lite' and the business of world domination

Recent iPhone rumors and tablet-Mac musings are best met with a sober analysis of money-making opportunities and technology roadmaps. The chatter of iPhone speculation is again rising to deafening levels. AT&T is supposedly in secret talks with Apple about extending its exclusive distribution deal. Verizon is rumored to be in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Tablet Mac on a Mac Pro?

Maybe a tablet Mac plugged/wi-fi'd into a Mac Pro could also (optionally) act as an application selective touchscreen, drawing thingimajig? Sort of like a Wacom Cintiq but more? Much, much, uber-more?

Now that would be a neat bit of Mac engineering especially if it bonded super-well with its buddies in Apple's product portfolio.

2. Synthmeister
    Thumb Up

Good analysis

I agree with you completely. Unless Verizon were to offer Apple some amazing concessions, there is really no reason whatsoever for Apple to waste time producing a CDMA phone that will be yesterday's technology in less than two years and not really marketable anywhere else in the world. Apple can easily wait until AT&T and Verizon both use the same tech. AT&T sales will continue to grow in the meantime and the addition of China, new iPhone models, accelerating sales of iPod touches and OS 3.0 will continue to grow the Apple iPhone universe.

3. Mike Flugennock

So, basically, no Newspad for this year?

No fargin' Newspad under the tree next year, huh? Feelthy fargin' bastidges.

Hell, honestly, right now...? Hell, with the World Economy coughing up blood as it is, I'd have been happy to see a n3tb00k-equipped re-rollout of the good old 12" clamshell iBook.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are there unreleased technologies?

You mean, for example, like how the original iPhone was released using EDGE, and shortly afterwards 3G was all the rage??

5. D@v3

iPhone OS3

Yes I am a paranoid and suspicious persone at the best of times, but i cant help to notice the 'pattern'

iPhone v1 --- iPhone OS1

iPhone3G --- iPhone OS2

???????? --- iPhone OS3

Just an observation.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"begins its WiMax rollout"

How many more times are we going to hear that phrase repeated before Intel finally acknowledge that WiMax is going to be about as profitable for them as Itanium is, and give up?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good analysis and viewpoint

Isn't it nice to see a Register article that doesn't just lazily feed on market speculation, rumours, and FUD?

I wish some of the other Register hacks would take note (yes that means you Mr Mellor !)

8. Rob
    Go

@AC 00:17

"You mean, for example, like how the original iPhone was released using EDGE, and shortly afterwards 3G was all the rage??"

LOL 3G was all the rage even before Apple released the first EDGE enabled iPhone, hence why everyone laughed in the UK at O2 who had to start rolling the network out when most of the other operators were winding the service down.

9. sleepy

VZ throwing toys out of pram?

Apple tablet (big iPod touch) - very likely. Is Verizon worried about Apple? - very likely. (What if they paid for LTE and only a few laptop road warriors wanted it on VZ's terms; everyone else wanting a pocket OS X device or its open equivalent?) iPod touch VZ with built-in CDMA dumb phone - might be compatible with the AT&T exclusive. Verizon to get an iPhone soon? Definitely not. But probably VZ is just putting out rumours to keep its profitable data customers from defecting.

"Apple's goal worldwide domination"? I don't think so, although, since big business is a form of warfare, Apple's actions are often indistinguishable from those of a company with that objective. Microsoft actually achieved world domination, but as we see now, it can be lost rather suddenly. The stable end state is diversity, not monoculture, which is why, unlike MS, Apple isn't actually trying to dominate or control content formats or distribution, only provide an exemplar which competitors must match (but so far are too greedy to match). I expect Apple to "let go" of parts of its control as it achieves its objectives, just as they willingly let go of DRM, and forced carriers into affordable content neutral "unlimited" mobile contracts, both of which represent empowering the end user rather than collective megacorp partners.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

tablet or Tablet?

I'd really like to see a MacTablet that acted as described in post numero uno.

A standalone 'pooter that becomes a 'tied' device when connected to a Mac.

It will probably have neat touchscreen with good sensitivity complimenting a pointed device just for accurate stuff?

It then ceases to be a standalone of a different nature and becomes complimentary? And a neat technological and engineering challenge as well?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like