back to article Brown finally wins something

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has achieved a great victory. It is not his miracle plan for MPs' expenses, issued via YouTube last week, nor is it increased confidence that his bailout plans will work. But he is top of the Number 10 e-petition list. The petition, posted by Reg reader Kalvis after a long battle, calls for Brown' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Spalton
    Coat

Has anyone noticed...

...that more people have voted for Broon to quit than actually voted for him in the last General Election? (24,278 voted for dear imPrudence)

Coat because that's what he should be reaching for. Right now.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

28,000? pfft

Tell me when it gets to 2 million.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/traveltax/

3. Duncan Hothersall
    Unhappy

To be succeeded by?

I hope those clicking to "do their bit" are happy with the idea that Gordon be replaced by one of the following:

Wacky Jacqui

Harriet Harperson

Jack 'boot' Straw

'Ickle' David Miliband

Not looking like such a smart idea now, is it...

4. DP
    Stop

No...

Because if he resigns we'll get another Labour leader in. He should do the decent thing and call the general election now!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny isn't it

There is no yes to id sites, though miss piggy has been claiming people want ID, well they are obviously not tech savey (or they just don't exist) enough to build a yes site, but there are loads of SAY NO TO ID sites.

This petition has been up only a few days, and it is done the rounds in most of the large UK forums, and people want him out. Well no surprise, come the next election this country is going to explode with political fervour, and it will be overwhelmingly negative campaigning against labour, I don't think people care any more who gets in as long as it is NOT Labour.

6. Richard

Go RNLI!

If they won't pay attention to a reasonable request like the RNLI's petition, then they'll never even consider this crack-pot one. Even if I happen to agree with it.

7. Kevin Johnston

Safe bet?

"We're making a rash prediction that he will soon extend this lead over the RNLI. We're also predicting Brown will pay very little attention to the voice of the internet people."

Only slightly less risky than betting the sun will rise tomorrow.

Had contemplated the Joke icon but the whole thing isn't actually very funny

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Give us a break

FFS no one bothers with petitions. When was the last time anything got changed as a result of a petition? You'd probably get 50,000 daft interweb twonks to sign a petition calling for the end of taxation on air. Note to interweb twonks there is no such tax. Too late they are probably off looking for the petition to sign whilst muttering damn gubmint.

If you want to change something you need to be lootin n' burnin.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Reg, your wrong

Brown has already won a whole host of accolades before this one:

1) Most oppressive and machiavellian dictator since Stalin award

2) Most sinister smile since the child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang award

3) Most disowned Scotsman of the year award ( voted for by fellow scots)

4) Best Financial planner since Mr Micawber award

5) Sleaziest national leader since Nixon award

There is one award that will allude Gordon (sinister) Clown:

Most popular candidate as voted for by the people at the next general election award

PS If anyone else is aware of any more Gordon awards please feel free to add to the list

10. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Brown's Meteoric Rise

Brown's rise up the petitions charts is truly meteoric.

But we already know what "resignation" means to Brown. When he takes "full responsibility", it means someone else takes the blame and resigns. Who will he have resign for him in response to this petition?

11. james
    Thumb Up

jolly good show

been there signed that

also signed this http://www.petitiononline.com/JC4PM/petition.html, alas it has the same odds of being fullfilled regardless of signitories

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think he's actually listening!

Looks like he nearly left, but had second thoughts:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8025199.stm

13. AC
    Paris Hilton

well derr

Obviously gormless clown is'nt going to pay attention to it.

His main problem is he can't read.

Paris because I'd rather be being fucked by her

14. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

But...

... it's still not asking Brown to resign, it's asking the Prime Minister to resign; it's a different thing!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I did my bit for the country....

.... and voted. Just like they taught me to do in school.

Three cheers for Kalvis, and let us see how this one pans out.

He's not having a good week is he, this Hoon of a PM.

16. John Smith Gold badge
    Joke

The law of unintended consequences

So not likely to be bringing the election forward then?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I wonder.....?

If this web site was designed by the same people who caused the year 2000 crisis then in about 4,000 more votes it'll rollover to -32767 votes - and the mad fool based in Downing Street will start pushing the message that everyone loves him really.

Yes we do love you, you wally. Please go and play with the traffic or something equally dangerous.

And Paris because I'd love to play with her to see if she is dangerous.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

I CAN think of a comment

about that Scottish one eyed idiot

Wasn't there a comment about nuking the twats earlier this week

Or was I just dreaming about nuking our NuLabour Twats

Or maybe it was just about nuking Gordon F_cking Brown

might have been about nuking Jackie (W_nking Husband) Smith

I don't care really just "nuke the f_ckers from space" lets get the hell out of here.

I haven't been drinking really, I havent. hicccccup

19. Camilla Smythe

I, for one....

Look forward to the return of Our Most Gracious Overlady once they have sorted out the problems with her Wii.

20. Captain Thyratron

@AC 2009.04.29 15:45 GMT

Their wrong what?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Send the Broons

back ta Glasga.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i thought

news sites had to be fair and equal when it came to politicans leaving and matters of the state like this (i.e. not post a link to a site calling for resignation)? wheres the petition to force all conservates to give up there massive cash reserves to help the needy?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LOL

Look guys & girls. Obama is already US pres and cant be prime minister.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Why would I want to "do my bit"?

I don't want any of the other wankers in either (and that includes all the other parties too).

Better the devil you know.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical petitioners...

You want him to call a general election, not resign.

People will sign anything.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Resign

in as resign the government - which then leads to a general election.

Oh no people don't just want Brown to resign as PM or MP (though that would be nice), they want the government to resign, Brown representing that government.

The Monarch dissolves parliament, and frankly she should step in and just do it, Brown has to go cap in hand, and request a dissolution of parliament. Though if all of Labour would just do the right thing and resign then we may as well have a general election.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@ i thought

More importantly, where's the petition to buy you some english lessons?

28. Outcast
    Paris Hilton

Stay... just a little longer...

I don't want him to resign.. Whoever replaced him may well persuade the braindeads that Labour are worth voting for.

No. The Tories are no better.. They started all this crap.... Remember.

Paris.. Coz i'd rather be... by her than Labour.

29. Kalvis

The reset button for gov.uk

http://10.kalvis.com and http://1.kalvis.com

Try to eject the PM! We need a reboot at gov.uk

30. Steve Swann

New Manifesto petitions...

I am considering starting petitions on the following items as an experiment in manifesto creation. I'd appreciate your thoughts, folks:

1) The abolition of the Party Whip system, creating an environment in the Commons whereby all votes are 'according to conscience' for each individual seat.

2) Granting the right to the House of Lords to force any second-reading of a bill to be taken to the the country for appraisal and approval by use of referendum.

3) The inclusion of an offical 'abstain' option on all government votes, including local and general elections. Where the majority vote is abstainence it should trigger an internal review and reform of parliamentary processes and the 'two party' structure.

4) The immediate creation, in consultation with the public, of a 'bill of rights' for the UK, detailing the rights, duties and responsibilities of all citizens and garunteeing their freedoms in perpetuity.

5) Accountability of the Police force to the public through open and transparent review processes seperate to the courts, governments and the IPCC. No more police reviewing police activity.

These ideas have arisen from a number of discussions I've had with various people and I stress that we are all laymen and none of us are involved in politics professionally. Any thoughts, criticisms or queries are welcomed!

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Steve Swann

The 'Party Whip' was originally to make sure they all voted, not necessarily to tell them *how* to vote. The idea was that they would vote according to their Consttuent's wishes if a preference had been expressed, or along the linesof what ever had been in their election manifesto if their electorate kept quiet (ie if voted in as being "against briadening the anti-terror laws" or whatever, you wouldn't expect the two-faced lying rat-fsk to then vote for it)

Party politics was supposed to be a dim and distant third...

And as for allowing the House of Lords to force a referendum, what do you think the Parliament Act is for? In case you missed the bluntest method of employment, it allows a Government in power with a majority to force through ANYTHING it wishes, even against the will of the House of Lords and those poor fools, the voting public. Not that I think for one second anyone would even consider the merest possibility of removing the 5 years between General Elections limitation at all, oh no. I mean, it's not like they've got "anti-terror" legislation that would allow them to lock you up if you complained too loudly, is it?

But then, Gordon Brown is a "Right Honourable gentleman" and it's not like he's ever done anything that looks even a little dodgy, is it? (When did he want to release MP's expense accounts again? What's that, 'Never'? Oh...)

32. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@ Steve Swann

In general, I like your thinking on this, but I would have some reservations.

Removal of whipping should be a priority, but votes by MPs and indeed councillors, should be guided by the will of their constituents. That is supposed to be their raison d'etre, representing their constituency, neither voting the way their party, or their conscience dictates. There should be no votes based on personal opinions. There should be some form of accountability required of MPs to prove that they have voted the way their constituents wished. This would then remove the need for referenda as the will of the people would already be acted upon. This would leave the Lords free to advise on changes to legislation that could prove damaging, or ill-written. OK, it'll take longer to do everything, but at least people will feel they have a stake in government and instead of us having rafts of poorly constructed legislation, perhaps we might just have a few new laws which actually work.

The abstain, or as I like to call it "I think all the candidates on the ballot are a bunch of self-serving, useless, cock-stains" option, should be implemented on every ballot, local, national and European, as soon as humanly possible.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Times Online Poll

Times Online have a poll, too. They're asking: "should he stay or should he go now?"

http://timesnews.typepad.com/news/2009/04/gordon-brown-should-he-stay-or-should-he-go-now.html

Is it just me, or does this really feel like it could really be the end for Gordon Brown now? I do hope he takes Jacqui Smith, et al, with him.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

The Gov poll is actually working

Sure, I doubt if Mr Brown will actually resign simply because no one wants him as PM, but the Downing Street website poll is mentioned in passing in The Telegraph this morning:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/labour/5253590/Gordon-Brown-has-lost-it-say-ministers.html

"A petition on the Downing Street website demanding his resignation has now attracted almost 36,000 supporters and, with polls predicting disaster at next month’s European and local elections, some Labour MPs predict an attempt to oust Mr Brown before the next general election. "

As of 09:00 BST today 88.8% of people thought Brown should leave No 10 now according to the Times poll and 37,788 people have signed the e-petition, nearly 10,000 more than have voted for the RNLI licence fees issue (which I also voted for).

My question is: How do we get him out of there before the next general election without using Guy Fawkes tactics?

35. Steve Swann

@AC commentators

Excellent points both! Time for me to go and read the Parliament Act in detail and examine the modern role of the party whip.

Prima Facia, I think I might be adding a move to repeal the Parliament Act and a clarification of the 'vote of conscience' model as you're absolutely right that MPs should vote according to constituent will. I just loathe this idea that 'block voting' is brought about by the force of the whips office - after all, that's where we get the idea of a 'back bench rebellion' and I don't think they should be viewed as negatively as they are.

36. John Smith Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Previous Labour party whips

Well off the top of the head that would include

Jacqueline Timney nee Smith

Geoff Hoon

It does virtually guarantee the appointment of a certain kind of character.

Now if only Mr B would take the prize this vote so clearly offers him.

37. Bath Omet

@Steve Swann

I would add this to your list:

6) Ban all politicians from joining any "Friends of Israel" organisation. Thus preventing Zionist influence on the British government.

This topic is closed for new posts.