WD has greened up its freshly minted 2TB SATA drive by focussing on reducing power consumption. With a 64MB cache and dual processors, WD says its WD RE4-GP hard drives have as much as a 25 per cent performance improvement over the previous generation. It says the drives reduce power consumption by up to 50 per cent over …
for use in NAS's
Is all this green technology worthwhile in a NAS? I'm thinking of getting something like a netgear readynas and would be looking to put 4 drives in it. "green" drives like this I would hope would be cooler, thus requiring less fan speed, as well as consuming less power.
would the software on such a device negate the special stuff through? I don't know if all this stuff requires driver/OS support to really be useful?
wont be much use
if the RIAA get their way....
Is that I need a handful of these....best get busy and win the lotto.
- SMASH the Bash bug! Apple and Red Hat scramble for patch batches
- BENDY iPhone 6, you say? Pah, warp claims are bent out of shape: Consumer Reports
- NASA rover Curiosity drills HOLE in MARS 'GOLF COURSE'
- WHY did Sunday Mirror stoop to slurping selfies for smut sting?
- Business is back, baby! Hasta la VISTA, Win 8... Oh, yeah, Windows 9