back to article Under-caution spam faxer fined over £6,000

A man who sent hundreds of spam faxes while under caution from privacy regulator the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) faces more than £6,000 in fines for his actions. Robert Logan's debt recovery agency Clear Debt Solutions (CDS) sent over 800 unwanted faxes after being served with an Enforcement Notice by the ICO in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

About as sharp as the ICOs teeth get...

Nice to see the ICO cracking all of the really tough cases out there. I guess resolving cases like this makes the numbers look good eh?

What the crim should have done instead of sending multitudes of spam faxes was to have illegally wiretapped their internet connections and fed the resulting data into some wanky ad trolling application.

He'd have got away scot free then.

Silly crim!!!

2. Mike Shepherd

Great to know...

Great to know they're cracking down on a completely out-of-date medium. Next stop: self-congratulating press announcements on how they've completely wiped out spam telegrams.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

And what will they do when the bloke doesn't pay?

Send in the debt collectors or the Bailiffs? The bloke works in the "debt Industry" and may well have forgotten more that the ICO will ever know. By the time, if ever, the ICO do get around to trying to collect the award the company will have gone bust.

Meanwhile, BAU. Another Minister apologises for leaving confidential documents on a train....

Laws as drafted are incapable of enforcement and Justice is, if obtained, selective and delayed. You have to wonder if this is the way "the Government" and Whitehall want it to be as part of a grand job protection scheme......

Please excuse the corrosive effects of my cynicism, Mr Blair!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get with the times?

Jeez.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

That'll teach him

Yes, £6K in fines will really impact a debt collector's bottom line.

6. Gordon Pryra

Was it worth it?

If he made more than £6,274.53 from his faxing, then I doubt he is that bothered to be honest

7. N

Pity

That it wasnt £6000 per fax, those sort really piss me off

8. Adrian Waterworth
    Alert

The asshat still hasn't stopped though...

I still get junk faxes from these jokers now and again. Got one just last week or the week before.

Plonkers.

9. Jason Hall

fine?

£6,274.53 - ooh what a harsh fine.

I'm sure he's crying into his pillow trying to figure out how to pay that pissy fine.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hahaha.

I get a letter every month from CDS telling me I owe some random company a bit of money. I ignore them, though...

11. jason
    Unhappy

Its pathetic, no deterrent at all.

Its like folks that drive their cars with no tax or insurance.

They get about £200 in fines and a slap on the wrist.

Car tax costs on average £150? Insurance for say a 20 year old £700+?

So still quids in if they get caught a couple of times a year. Bargain!

12. Joe Drunk

Spam by any other name

I used to get spam faxes. I now have it set to manual recieve and only turn it on when I am expecting a fax. There's absolutely no reason to keep it on auto. We get tons of junk faxes at work and they get tossed in the bin. No one ever sends me a fax at work without prior notification but as you know most people are too stupid to figure out the manual recieve thingy therefore spam faxes keep coming.

13. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

@ Jason

Actually, drive a car without tax and/or insurance and thy can take your car and crush it. A friend who's been working in London tells me he's seen the rozzers with mobile crushers - so when they pull up some chav in a £20k or £30k Merc they can crush it there and then in front of his eyes (unless he can come up with a plausible offer to produce documentation). So yes, they've cottoned on to the fact that a £200 quid fine and a slap on the wrist isn't going to work when you can save a couple of grand a year by not paying insurance.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Jason

While I agree with your sentiments, people that get caught without car insurance tend to get fined more than that, get 8 points on their licence & have their car taken away (and sometimes crushed).

15. jason
    Happy

Excellent news......

....on the crushers then! And I do hope the fines are geting bigger.

However, as I see on these "Police! Action! Arseholes!" shows, often the culprits are under 25, drive a pile of crap and dont even have a license or cash to start with.

I always love it when on those shows they state "the driver didnt have a licence and was banned from driving for a year!"

Hang on?

Still back to fax spammers........

16. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Shame

A real shame that they could only fine him £6k. In the grand scheme of things, £6k is nothing for the kind of cost that these people cause. Not only to toners, ink and electricity, but also to the time of the poor sods that have to throw this stuff away afterwards.

Spammers of any nature need to be given a really heavy fine to stop the rewards outweighing the risk.

No sympathy at all for him, least of all through his line of business.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Clever use of fax software' aka fax blasting

Here's a company that openly touts fax spamming - http://scientology-london.com/extra/888/index.html#sambutler

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like