back to article Criminal Records Bureau launches e-disclosure service

The Criminal Records Bureau has introduced an e-application system to enable organisations to apply for bulk criminal records checks The electronic application system, known as e-Bulk, will enable those who make more than 3,000 checks a year to make multiple applications and receive the results online. Each year the CRB …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Pickett

Spread a little crappiness

Wonderful. Now they'll be able to get it wrong in bulk.

I wonder how many of the 12000 or so mistaken identities to date have been put right?

The CRB is a joint venture between the Home Office and Crapita. Can you imagine a more incompetent pairing?

2. David

Data loss?

Oh dear - MORE data to be lost, hacked or just simply recorded inaccurately. (Perish the thought!). As a taxi driver, I dread having to go through this routine every few years with the local council on my licence renewal. What REALLY annoys me is the fact that I now have to pay THEM a significant fee just to be told that I don't have anything registered against me, whereas, in the past, I gather it was just a simple phone call from council to local plod. That's progress for you.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

What could possibly go wrong?

Pretty much says it all.

Paris, cos she has a record too.

4. EdwardP
    Flame

Well...

...this certainly isn't ripe for abuse.

I can only find one company involved in this at the moment, but more will spring up and will inevitably get hacked.

We'll see Gordon & Jacqui's Criminal Records popping up on Wikileaks soon enough, you mark my words...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are you serious?

Capita run the CRB system?

Jesus christ.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent...

Now can everyone get together and list out all the MP's children and relatives, then we can chuck them all into the system to check it...

I'll start by suggestion Jack Straw's son... Oh hang on, my mistake, I forget, he was "set up"... *cough*

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

My CRB record

is spotless. Unfortunately for me, there is a person with the same first two names, surname and date of birth, but a different place, who has spent his life breaking the law and getting progressively longer sentences. The CRB and I are on chatting terms as every time I need to produce a CRB they disobligingly send the other guys' one, even though my record is supposed to be marked for an additional check. I have of course nothing to hide but I hope I get the opportunity to point this out to potential employers when they are emailed the wrong record.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Click on send to all

and press enter

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

another hairbrained scheme

But think of the children... Ok, thought of them, now think about the rest of us.

10. A J Stiles
    Thumb Down

I want to tell you a story

A few years ago I went to an electrical retailer in town to buy a new washing machine. Having chosen the one I wanted, I went to discuss finance options. I was eventually refused credit, on account of a bad debt run up by a previous occupier of my address.

Being told in front of a store full of people (strangers whom I would probably never see again; and not really in front of them, but quietly at a desk in a corner out of the way) that I couldn't have a loan because they were afraid I might not be able to pay it back, was a bit embarrassing.

But at least nobody ever got petrol poured through their letterbox because a member of an Angry Mob thought they were a bad credit risk.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Bastards

So they've go a new system fo doing it in bulk. Little comfort to the smaller users who have just been kicked out for not using it enough. We were told we had to do 100 a year, which we didn't have any need for, or we would be disenfranchised. And so it came to pass. We had been a satisfactory customer for several years, but because our volume was low we weren't wanted any more. Now we will have to try to find some umbrella organisation to rip us off. Bastards!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Online!

Secure DB, oh we won't lose your data or reveal it to anyone, no, no, it's safe with us.

Oh - and we'll put a nice front end on it and publish it on the internet, but we'll use SSL so it'll be ok.

Trust us, it will be fine, if you've nothing to hide....

How long until the first unauthorised access and a newspaper gets some uncomfortable details (probably wrongly recorded) and publishes the safe, private data in the press?

Sheesh! Idiots.

13. Columbus
    Thumb Down

police response time...

You may be able to apply to the CRB in bulk but the police response for enhanced CRB's is likely to be less than brilliant when the cash cuts hit home. Did you know there is no obligation on the Police to respond to the CRB and no enforced time limits? They have targets, but that does not apply to background checks they don't want to or can't fufill.

This topic is closed for new posts.