back to article Microsoft courts the upwardly mobile

A job advert posted on the Microsoft website points to plans for a Windows Mobile update system, extending the customer relationship beyond a sticker on the box. "Have you wished to see your Windows Mobile phone with new features 'magically' show up without you buying a new one?" says the advert, spotted by Ars Technica, before …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Just Head over to XDA-Devs

Already got the new Touch-Flo on my Touch Pro thanks the the good lads over there :)

why yes

""Have you wished to see your Windows Mobile phone with new features 'magically' show up without you buying a new one?""

Yes, I have, and that's why my Titan runs a third-party firmware (Titan Reloaded) with WM 6.1, manila 2d, fixed gps and all manner of other crap.

Ironically, the HTC / Windows Mobile combination is one of the *most* 'open' of all smartphone setups in some ways. There's lots of stuff you can't do on iPhone or even Android that can be done on those phones, if you do your research.

Joke

Fins in fits

Epileptic sharks?

That's strange....

I just migrated my Tom Tom over to TTwobuntu and my Nokia over to NUbuntu. Then I got bored and put the betas back into Ubuntu and they worked.

I'm sure that's not meant to happen.

Anonymous Coward

Users know what they're doing

The 'Windows Update' application on my T-Mobile Vario III / HTC Kaiser / TyTTn II (delete as applicable) hasn't done a damn thing in the year that I've had it. Seems like a waste of bits.

However, I recently went down the path of installing a new ROM O/S on the phone. Easy. Simple. Works much better. Takes a bit of technical know-how that Joe Bloggs wouldn't have but it's not impossible.

Now if only Microsoft would sort out the interface then I might be convinced to upgrade to the next Windows Mobile version when my contract expires. If they don't, I won't.

Bronze badge

just finished cracking a old M3100 from orange

using crcs ROM and the update feature built in there is great :)

I really dont get M$ sometimes

Lets hire somebody with 10years experience = old codger

wtf is a old codger gonna know about usefull updates.

im only28 and feel old already in relation to keeping up with new devices (hates touchy feely stuff)

this sounds pretty good

i have suffered at this vendor locked in update system before, with a windows mobile PDA. all it needed was a small update to support an IO standard (SDIONow!). I would have been able to get a wireless card for it, and it would still be in use today instead of sat in a drawer unused. But as it relied on the maker to release an update it never happened (as they'd much prefer you to buy a new one that does have support)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums