back to article Google gives a peek of Android 1.5

Google has announced the availability of an "early look" at the SDK for the next version of its Linux-based Android mobile operating system, version 1.5. Highlights include UI refinements such as animated window transitions and accelerometer-based application rotation, a soft keyboard and support for third-party keyboards, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The power of elReg anonymous cowards

"Highlights include UI refinements such as animated window transitions and accelerometer-based application rotation"

See 'animations' comments

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/11/google_android_video_hits_youtube/comments/

Why on earth don't Google simply post their plans to elReg and I'll tell them what's wrong *before* they do it! Hopefully they didn't put the 'turn off animations' button on it, for justification read the comments in the above link.

While I'm at it, it they have ejected Bush at 2008 at the latest we could have avoided meltdown, read 'money' comment to understand what the problem is:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/05/air_force_cyber_command/comments/

And Sarah bee should publish my comment from this morning on the "Labour flames whistleblowers in email smear brouhaha" because I bet it is absolutely true. You're seeing the trees and missing the forest.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

more competition for the iPhone?

You mean Android is competition? Doesn't something have to be in use to be competition? Android usage round my way is a big fat zero. iPhone usage a big fat non-zero. But maybe everybody are sheeple round here.

Obviously only real/clever/antiestablishmentarianists/insert-blandishment-to-make-you-feel-better people have Android phones.

It's all irrelevant however, as the N95 can already do everything all the other phones can.

3. Serrio

@AC, 2:50AM

Thank you! It's only 8:35AM and thats already the stupidest thing I'm likely to read today.

4. James Dunmore

@more competition for the iPhone?

(I could be wrong but ...) I remember reading that uptake of android has been quicker than the iPhone was. iPhone didn't really get going until the 3g came out almost a year after the first iteration was out - and even then, remember the empty O2 stores....

Android only been out 6months, on not a great looking hand set - hopefully there will be 2 or 3 more nice handsets out by the end of the year; then allowing time for peoples 18month contracts to end and move to android, it'll start tapping away at the iPhone market big time.

The pricing of the HTC Magic looks more than competitive against the iPhone - and (as I said) hopefully 2 or 3 other phones will follow by the end of the year - and then the bang wagon should start rolling

5. John Curry

@ James Dunmore

Er, not sure which shop you were in on iPhone 3g launch day, but both of my local O2/CPW stores had queues well out of the door a good 2 hours prior to opening time.

6. Lee
    Happy

@ Anonymous coward

lol n95, if you had used an n95 and an android phone you would know that they don't even play in the same league.

Out of interest, which Del Boy sold you an n95 with a touch screen and tilt sensor?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Lee

The 'tilt sensor' is the accelerometer you tit.

The N95 is better in alot of areas to the G1...In fact it's a shed load better overall and doesn't feel like it's made out of recycled plastic coffee cups. Also it's not exclusive to T-Mobile....which is reason enough not to get one.

8. James Dunmore

@John Curry

Okay, 1 or 2 stores might have had "queues" or staff paid to walk around making it look busy - but it was well documented - on this site for starters - that the hype was a fraction of what was expected.

9. Tom Chiverton

No help...

This is no help, of course, unless your provider (TMobile) bothers to issue the updates. Based on Orange and SE phones, this never* happens.

10. Gary

@Tom Chiverton

I was actually surprised, T-Mobile did actually issue an update in the four months I've had the G1. Doesn't mean they'll also issue *this* update, but it at least leaves the possibility.

And in case anyone is wondering why the G1 and not the iPhone, it's simple economics to me: the G1 is cheaper than the iPhone. Being linux-based also has a certain geek-factor to it, even if it might ultimately mean nothing.

11. James Dunmore
    Happy

@Tom Chiverton

T mobile have said they will issue this update.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

WPA Enterprise

will Android 1.5 provide users with decent wireless support - bit of PEAP or EAP/TTLS would be nice.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like