back to article Apple to surgically remove MobileMe parts

Parts of Apple's MobileMe service grandfathered in from the company's previous online efforts will be shut down this summer. The most popular casualty is the .Mac HomePage, the simple-but-useful template-based web-page creation application. According to an Apple email that went out Friday, you will be able to access pages for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Inachu

Grrrrrr!

This is why I will not use any of those service because Appple does not keep them stable over a 9 year period.

Face it Apple. Keep taking things away people like then they will just switch back to the microsofts way of doing things.

2. Fubar
    Stop

@ Inachu

"stable over a 9 year period"

"then they will just switch back to the microsofts way of doing things"

Tried using hot mail over the past 9 years? Free, but my, THEY LIKE CHANGING THINGS.

3. David

It's driving me nuts!

I've had these services since I had a free trial with my iMac quite a few years ago. I found homepage genuinely useful for sharing files. It was possible to create a sharing page that was password protected and quite secure.

It's a shame that they're killing the service off, rather than just incrementally improving it.

This whole MobileMe thing is infuriating. One day, without warning, I suddenly realised that I was sending email from my address @me.com instead of @mac.com. That was the first I heard of it.

Their email system no longer supports aliases in the transparent way it used to, and there are a lot of other major changes too.

Finally, I find the MobileMe synchronization service for iPhone pretty shockingly bad. I set it up, and my entire contacts directory disappears when it attempts to synch.

I can't seem to find out how to get it back to normal.

Frankly, I think I will be changing over to google aps

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Not a bad move

> Before iTools was killed off, it was reported to have had 2.4 million members.

> Two months after .Mac was launched, Apple announced that it had acquired

> just 100,000 subscribers.

100,000 x $99.95 = $995,000

2,400,000 x $0 = $0

Not a bad move for Apple.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I liked homepage

Sure it looks awful nowadays since the templates hadn't been updated for how-many years, and the choice at the start was limited if you weren't keen on overly kitsch (but competent) page themes, there was a lack of styles for grownups. I think the main menu / index page theme selection was especially dire. But it meant that pressing one button in iphoto was all you needed to do get your digital pictures shared - a revelation when it came out.

But the version of iWeb I bought won't output pages that firefox will display. Much as I'd love to ditch the free-source browser it's all that's available at work. So I can't show or look at my non-homepage photos at work without buying the newer version of iWeb. Is it still "nickel and diming" if the coins are £70-notes - or is that closer to hostage taking.

PH displays everything in firefox.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Webhosting on MobileMe

A long dialogue with Apple today suggests that there will be no simple way to upload a website to me.com in the form of a bunch of html files, iWeb has to be used and I'd have to purchase it. The value for money of a subscription thus declines....

7. Mark Milaszkiewicz

David - there is a method to get things working right...

The syncing works perfectly, if you do it in a sensible way.

1 - sync iphone with computer, to ensure address book on computer is up to date

2 - sync your computers address book to mobile me - aka the cloud

3 - then log into me.com and make sure everything is there

4 - activate contacts syncing on iphone, it'll delete everything that is "local" and download what is in the "cloud"

then it works perfectly!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

They lost me

When I realised I could get hosting with a real Web server and reliable email for the same price. Ever tried installing MediaWiki or a CMS on dotMac? The only feature I was using was the syncing, and then only for Safari's bookmarks. Now I just occasionally mail myself a copy of my Firefox profile to use on all my platforms.

The big sillies. It could have been so much better. And with the new round of upgrades, it appears it still isn't.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Not freetards, thank you

Yet another incorrect use of the word "freetards". Could you please break out the clue bat Drew and get this lot under control?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Not a bad move

What was $99.95*100,000 again?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like