back to article Sims creator Will Wright leaves EA

Will Wright, one of the most renowned game designers in the world, is leaving Electronic Arts and Maxis to focus on Stupid Fun Club, an "entertainment think tank" he founded in 2001. Wright has been at Electronic Arts for 12 years and created some of the company's most profitable titles, including The Sims and Spore. EA …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christopher Ahrens
    Stop

Nooooooo

Hopefully he still has the rights to make Sim City. Damn that game took all my free time going up, so much fun.....

2. Jacob Lipman

Good for him

Brilliant guy, can't blame him for leaving EA. The early versions of Spore he demonstrated on numerous occasions before the final clusterfuck of a release were tremendously more complex and allowed much more creative freedom than the version which reached the public. I can't help but speculate that some of that dumbing-down was a result of executive interference. As it is, even with the shared online content that game has very little replay value. It's a fantastic concept, and it could have been one of the best games ever made. I hope to see a fleshed-out, fully-formed sequel to Spore some time down the road.

</nerd>

3. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

I hope he gets to work on a new SimCity

after the utter disappointment that was simcity societies!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Good,

I hope this means that EA can concentrate on Sim City Carbon 09 / 10 / 11....

5. Martin Lyne

To EA Haters

You didn't read it properly, EA have the first rights to make games coming from the think tank.

More expansions for Sim City 4 would be excellent. But no, better to make copies and reinvent the wheel.

*shakes fist at EA*

6. Adrian Esdaile
    Unhappy

EA FAIL

Spore could have been so good, but thanks to EA it's... well I'm not sure. Confused, mostly.

Likely EA retain the rights to "Sim-x" which is a shame, and we will likely never see a sequel to Spore as I cannot imagine EA letting the rights to that go.

Bloody shame, and to quote the Bard "All are punished"

This topic is closed for new posts.