back to article Palm opens up, and goes back in time

Palm has launched its developer program for the as-yet-unreleased Pre device as a free download, but developers will have to justify their existence if they want a fast track to WebOS. The Mojo SDK - the development platform for Palm's WebOS - is to be dribbled out to developers who can justify their case, allowing them to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James
    Stop

Exposed!

I knew it, the platform's not ready. There is no reason why Palm would make their developers jump through an embarrassing hoop unless the platform was immature. Sounds to me like this Pre is a last-chance for Palm, I expect this phone to flop.

Palm stock is 46% owned by shorters, let's not forget that.

2. jonathan keith
    Alert

@ James

You wouldn't by any chance happen to be one of those shorters, would you?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

dope wars!

one of the most addictive little games to be available on the palm will still be able to run. Excellent. Now, if only Palm would give a due date so punters like myself who may be due an upgrade would be able to know until what point we have to wait.

4. RedGrittyBrick
    Go

Stop!

"the only decent, mobile, implementation of Go that exists today"

So, er, which of the many legacy PalmOs Go apps is that then?

5. James

@Jonathan

Nope, I wish I was though

6. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

PalmOS compatibillity - Great

I was pretty interested to start with. Now I'm sold.

Bring it on.

7. James Pickett

Good news

"the Pre will ship with a PalmOS emulator"

If it can run Titrax, I shall be well pleased. This is simply the neatest, easiest to drive way to log hours to different jobs yet devised. It is an absolute Godsend to self-employed types like me, but I have yet to see anything nearly as smart on any other platform. I keep an old Palm m500 about me solely for the purpose. I know, I could buy a Treo, but - well, just but...

8. ratfox
    Happy

Good move

Having a PalmOS emulator... I believe many people like these PalmOS applications, no matter how shitty the platform is to program on. Myself included.

My mind tells me that shorters are right, and the Pré is a really desperate effort. If Palm manages a comeback, it will be from the jaws of death.

But hey, people used to say the same about Apple ^^

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

PalmOS compatability - perfect!

I've been a fan of Palm since I bought a Palm 5000, complete with US Robotics logo on it. Of course I've still got it, but today I use a Centro. Well I did but that died the other day, so a quick battery charge and a HotSync got my Treo 650 back up and running.

And I've been thinking, if Palm are going to drop the Palm OS on the Pre then perhaps I should look now at other platforms. I would miss Life Balance, ToDo+, DateBk6, 4Cast, PBWine and on and on, but there are some good devices out there. But now I don't have to, so well done Palm for seeing sense. I look forward to buying my, er, 6th Palm. I've pre-registered with Play.com, who seem to be able to sell me an unlocked one just as soon as they come out. Hmmm.

10. Bill Ray (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Stop!

The only decent game of Go I've ever got out of a mobile device is Aigo (http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/iizuka/), and I'm really not very good at Go.

Bill.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like