Feeds

back to article Microsoft plays coy over iPhone Office

Redmond has hinted it soon may bring Microsoft Office to the iPhone. In a Q&A with Tim 2.0'Reilly at the hypemeister's Web 2.0 Expo in downtown San Francisco this afternoon, Microsoft Office honcho Stephen Elop was asked how his aging desktop software suite would survive in a world increasingly obsessed with putting apps in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gold badge

Google apps

OK, I would never put valuable data or my email on Google (I don't trust them), but what MS appears to ignore is that Google apps supply enough of what people want. It's not so-bare-it's-unbearable Works, it's rich enough to get normal work done, whereas every-feature-you-may-think-of-and-each-new-version-hides-the-stuff-you-really-need MS Office bloatware is getting a tad heavy on both the wallet and the system.

Given the iPhone's anaemic wait-for-everything computing resources I think MS iOffice will be fun to watch.

If you like watching paint dry, that is.

Not yet, your not.

Goodness. Buy yourself a dictionary.

Bronze badge

The iPhone is not special

Microsoft would be wasting their time making a special Office for iphone, after all the next version of Office will have a web interface anyway, as reported by the Reg recently.

Coat

hmmm

I only have a 16gb iPhone - will that be enough to load Office on ?

Uh

April Fool's Day is OVAH - O-V-A-H OVAH!

Dan
Gates Horns

Coming full circle

What's the chances that Office for the iphone will probably offer 95% of the functionality you need, and actually be a better package for a lower price than grown-up Office with all it's crazy add-ons and even more crazy price?

That said, I can't help thinking they're hinting at this early to hinder sales of Quickoffice while they get their act together....

Anonymous Coward

Office Live pretty damned impressive actually

I got to play with the browser based Office Live during one of Microsoft's Live @ Edu demonstrations and the really good big - it looks and plays like the Office of old. Even if most people never use Office's full range of features, Live scores highly because it looks like the program they've been using up until now.

Google Apps are very nicely done, work well and play nicely, but IMHO they don't look as professional as the Office Live suite.

N
Bronze badge
Joke

@ lansalot

Rumour has it theres a 32Tb edition due this summer!

Unhappy

Oh no - not ad supported on iPhone puh-lease!

With bandwidth being as it is, coverage similarly so the last thing we consumers (OK me consumer) wants is additional lag just because some sky based servers, some trad based servers or some other time lag inducing arrangement wants to look up, download and then display ads.

Apple: please keep apps ad free

Gates Horns

Office won't run on the iPhone

Apple will need to create a new device if they want that BLOAT to run on an iPhone

Rumor has it that it will be called the iBrick and it will use FAT.

Gates Horns

Oh no

more twatware to ignow-ah at the stow-ah...

This topic is closed for new posts.