Feeds

back to article Intel 'Nehalem' Xeon 5500 series

Intel’s new Xeon 5500 series uses the chip giant's 'Nehalem' architecture to effectively put a pair of Core i7 CPUs on a workstation motherboard. Intel Xeon 5500 Intel's Xeon 5500: scorcher That news should come as a pleasant surprise, but of course Apple ruined our fun when it launched its new Mac Pro a couple of weeks ago, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Dead Vulture

These are server processors

Why are you reviewing server processors using desktop apps?

Paris Hilton

V

IMHO the driving force behind all this multi-core CPU development has been nothing to do with desktop\workstation performance or applications. Illusrated by the lack of multi-core aware applications for desktop computing. It is about virtualisation.

How about shoving some of these bad boys in an ESX server and doing some VM benchmarking as i suspect that is the area Intel will be shipping most of these (initially at least)?

Paris - because she likes her bad boys....

HD 4890 eh?

Not so unannounced anymore.

Dead Vulture

Please run business tests, not children's tests

I was excited to see The Register have these amazing new CPUs in for real world testing. But anyone with at least £4000 spare to buy a complete system would not be buying it to play games. Most buyers will want to do grown-up business things like run databases or virtual machines.

Please run your tests again to show transaction I/O/sec and other useful benchmarks that reflect what the vast majority of people will be using the new Xeon 55xx CPUs for. Pretty please? Thanks.

+1 for the bandwagon

Server apps please!

SQL Server for a start - but any other RDBMS would be a good place to begin.

E
Unhappy

Adding my voice.

We already know what these processors can do with desktop apps and games. The info in this article is irrelevant to just about everyone. Only a small small number of people will use dual nehalem systems for the desktop.

How about a test using real enterprise or professional software? Things like RDMS's, HPC apps, web apps, java middleware, professional rendering apps and engineering/CAD/CAM apps!

Thumb Up

Another review...

Hello,

3D Professor has a workstation review of these Xeons that people may find interesting.

http://www.3dprofessor.org/Reviews%20Folder%20Pages/EP/EP0.htm

Two things I noticed, the 3D Professor review reports a main memory latency of only 65ns for 12GB RAM. And that the 3D Studio Underwater benchmark normaly takes 75 minutes, their review PC did it in ~35 minutes. Sounds fast to me!

Found some real server benchmarks

I hope El Reg doesn't object but Anandtech have published a very thorough review of this new CPU when used in a real business environment. For example, running MS SQL it will be 7x faster than a 3 year old Xeon server that you might be wanting to replace.

An estimated 50% of the new server market is for running VMs. A server with dual X5570 CPUs runs neck and neck on a VMWare benchmark to a server with *quad* CPUs from last generation's Xeons. It's performance as a workhorse is breathtaking. Link: http://it.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3536

Silver badge
Dead Vulture

Ummm FAIL

So, you run a bunch of tests that

1) Can't actually test the performance of the kit

2) Is not actually relevant to the intended uses of the kit

3) Despite points 1 and 2, declare the performance as breathtaking.

If you MUST do video compression testing on multi-core CPU's, then at least endeavour to use software that, you know, can utilise multiple cores.

DVDRIP on linux springs to mind.

Jobs Halo

Pounds, dollars

Is the X5550 really £958 and not $958? :)

Steve because he shipped them 1st.

Thumb Up

Impressive test results

http://www.finextra.com/fullstory.asp?id=19858

Linux

@ "Not desktop"

Odd. The MacPro, containing a pair of these mofos, looks a lot like a desktop to me.

All we need to do is get shot of that 'orrible OSX...

Anonymous Coward

benchmarks

how about php/webserver tasks and database tasks vs a similar spec xeon 5400.

This topic is closed for new posts.