Feeds

back to article BMW driver follows satnav to edge of cliff

A Doncaster man is facing a "hefty recovery bill", and an appearance before the beak on a driving without due care and attention rap, after following his BMW's satnav to the edge of a West Yorkshire cliff, the Telegraph reports. Robert Jones, 43, was driving in "broad daylight" on Sunday morning en route to visit some chums. In …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Coat

BMW driver.

Say it all!

Go

blind leading the blind

Typical BMW owner

Pirate

Anyone want to hack TomTom?

To give suicide instructions? "Drive into garage. Leave engine running. Open car windows. Close garage door. Wait. End of line." The gene pool is getting rather stagnant.

Unhappy

Gimp.

What a dipshit. If you rely on your satnav to such an extent that you don't actually look at the road and make some informed choices about where you're going (he could have got out to take a look?) then you deserve all you get.

Modern reliance on "dumb" tech will produce more and more stories like this. Hell, the other day Jennifer Aniston apparently dumped her boyfriend because he was very publicly twittering too much and said to her that he was working too hard to talk to her...

If this guy relies on satnav for his job god help his customers and colleagues.

Linux

Take the ferry

Of the 59 phrases that make up my sat-nav's vocabulary, I've wondered when I might be advised to take the ferry, (large unavoidable metal thing at a river or sea crossing). Maybe it would be better to include a watch-out-for-the-impending-cliff-edge! phrase instead.

Unhappy

Poot chap!

Leaving aside the fact that chappie was driving a BMW, I can understand how something like this can happen. You see a narrow road which the Satnav suggests you take, you follow the directions NOT KNOWING WHATS AHEAD!, and that's it. You're out of road.

I used to cover some pretty areas in Wales, Dorset Cornwall etc and many a time the Satnav has suggested taking one and I've always thought better. I have got my car stuck in the past, but that was my own stupid fault, not the GPS. That's why I am pretty careful now.

Without seeing the road, I can't really throw stones at the driver, but I bet he felt a right pillock..

Go

Dork

If he'd failed to stop he'd be a front-runner for the next round of Darwin Awards.

Photo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7962212.stm

Paris Hilton

In a word....

Cock.

What an utter utter cock.

Hope he's f*cking banned from driving anything more risky than a supermarket trolley for the rest of his brain foresaken life.

Paris... for blatantly obvious reasons...

Unhappy

I love the way he only stopped when he actually drove into a fence

Once I was 'recovered' when my car broke down (no satnav involved at this point), and the pick-up driver insisted on driving from Coventry to Manchester via Birmingham, because the satnav didn't have the M6 Toll on it (allegedly) and he 'didn't believe there was another way to Manchester'. Clearly the road signs were lying. (Perhaps it's because of how easily duped many of us are by what's written on a screen that we believe our lovely Fisherprice-coloured XP 'desktops' are all rosy and good, and not in fact loaded with spyware - an additional IT angle for you there)

Of course a good experiment for the reader would be to 'hack' their friends'/enemies' satnav devices so that they 'insist' the owner carry out a range of hilarious activites, from messing themselves after a particularly heavy vindaloo to ramming all 'I must drive at exactly 40mph everywhere' drivers.

Thumb Down

"I rely on my satnav"

To the point of thinking it's right even when its obvious you are off the road? What sort of brain dead numpty is this man? Can we find out who he works for because a company that employs such brain dead people is probably one to avoid.

I wonder if he's been fleeced by our Nigerian friends yet... he seems to be the right type!

This post has been deleted by its author

Go

*Duh*

It was the Satnav guv!

Which tool drives almost drives off a cliff just because a satnav tells him to. The worst thing of all he relies on it for his job!!

It reminds of the chick who's car got pranged by a train after she left it parked on a level crossing. Pillocks. What happens if the satnav's batteries run out? Do the drivers just stop since they lack any intelligence to figure out their own way or what?

Go - maybe he should have kept driving!

Thumb Down

Sounds familiar...

Wasn't that last night's Dr Who repeat plot?

Boffin

Clearly...

Not a paid-up member of the self-preservation society, then.

DUmbcaster

How did this guy make it to 43?

Anonymous Coward

Next BMW advance...

BMW must surely be thinking of saving money on windscreens and indicator stalks?

I mean, if BMW drivers would rather look at a Sat-Nav, why not put something else there in place of the windscreen? A 42in LCD, perhaps?

And the indicators? Well, no BMW driver has used them in the last 10yrs. Surely a deprecated function?

Coat

driving AID...

I think there's a reason why thay're classed as a driving AID..... don't think of sat nav as some nagging person in the passenger seat (though you probably shouldn't listen to them either) telling you where to go, think of it like that big paper map sat in your glove box, but doesn't obstruct your windscreen while trying to drive...

Sat Nav's should come with a competence test, if you are incompetent of working out when the road you're about to go down leads to a dead end, or off the edge of a cliff, you really shouldn't be driving the car in the first place.

I generally tell my Sat nave to "Get Lost" but it never listens...

Silver badge
Coat

BMW driver

'nuf said.

Stop

Dumb ass...

title says it all...

Bronze badge
Flame

Title

Not exactly ROTM, is it? More of a subtle opposite: Fall of The Machine (but with meat-ware still inside.)

<- Flames for the inevitable (movie) result.

What a moron

Someone needs to take away his licence for being too stupid to be allowed out without a carer. Learn to read a map you retard.

Flame

I feel sorry for him....

....he simply got confused as there was no car to tailgate....a BMW drivers nightmare.

Alert

BMW

What a suprise... another BMW driver not paying attention!

Or was he just busy trying to overtake time itself and get back to saturday?

Stop

What a

TWAT!

Stop

freaking idiot...

Need I say more?

Stop, well, he should have

Name and shame

What satnav make and model was this man using?

Maybe the software needs refining so it says "Warning! You are coming to the end of your country. Warning! You live on an island!"

Thumb Up

I think this is a brilliant idea...

we haven't had a good cull of the stupid for while now.

Paris Hilton

sue

sue the hell out of tomtom!

Bronze badge
Alien

Encouraging numpties on the road

I know they are handy but I swear satnav has been responsible for so much dodgy driving as people just listen to the navigation and stop paying attention to what is going on around them. Pretty soon I expect they'll be there with phones on the "don't use one and drive" list...

Also it's another gadget on the growing list of things designed to make us more stupid ( see also: Twitter ) which I am increasingly starting to suspect are part of a despicable plot on the part of the Rising Machines to make humanity so incapable of independant thought, concentration or any other significant mental endeavour that we are powerless to resist our robot masters when they decide it is time to take over.

Anonymous Coward

Very easy to do in rural areas.

Having been a victim of a satnav taking me up a road over a hill, over the apex and suddenly finding myself rolling through a field down the other side. No amount of "should be looking where you are going" can account for a road disappearing without warning. Especially if there are no road signs indicating that the road ends 5 yards after the top of the hill. The last road sign I saw a mile back was the national speed limit sign. Turns out after the event, that the national speed limit road finishes once it reaches a house, then it becomes a private road for the last 100 yards up the hill. Only it's not marked.

This is a problem with rural roads. In densely popular areas you have lots of indicators that warn of impending danger, road signs, stripes in the road becoming closer together and longer. In the country you have nothing, and these are the most common road you'll find a national speed limit sign, but no signs to slow down, unless you are approaching a densely populated area.

Stop

BMW drivers

I swear, these people don't pay attention to what's outside the windows anyway.

*angry cyclist goes raaah*

Gold badge

I sometimes wonder.

How many of these "it woz the satnav wot dunnit" errors are due to the user selecting the wrong item off the little route planning bit where you select car, bicycle or pedestrian* as your chosen mode of travel?

It's hard to be outsmarted by a small plastic box with a tiny CPU in it, but some people seem to manage it.

*Yes, "sodding great truck" *is* missing from mine, which is why drivers of such should cough up for the commercial quality product rather than relying on a 99 quid tomtom from Halfords......

Go

Shame it didn't go over

could have been a good Darwin.

jai
Silver badge

"Please turn left....

...when you have a great idea Charlie"

Joke

BMW sat nav

maybe it was trying to find a way to poland

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Lucky for him BMWs have a "50:50 weight distribution".

Silver badge

This is how it will be

"It [the satnav] kept insisting the path was a road, even as it was getting narrower and steeper. I just trusted it. You don't expect to be taken nearly off a cliff."

No Skynet, no hordes of intelligent machines scouring the Earth of the last traces of humanity. This is how the machines will take over, we will place implicit trust in them. We will obey blindly and without question. In the not to distant future, every decision, every human act will be a machine "AI" created or assisted solution.

Humanity isn't going to go out in a nuclear flash and subsequent cleansing of the planet by machine overlords. It's going to go out slowly in a random and chaotic manner driven by human stupidity and badly programmed software.

There will be no malevolent machine AI wiping humanity off the planet. Just stupid humans who cannot perform a simple task or come to a decision without the aid of, or instruction from, one of millions of disparate and poorly programmed unintelligent devices.

Stop

Without due care and attention.

BMW on the edge of a cliff... hmmm that also counts as a twatdangle.

Stop sign.. well it's not rocket science is it?

Anonymous Coward

Common sense.

Good. Glad to hear it. For far too long it's been the preserve of idiots to go taking their waily "satnav made me do it" stories to the redtops and be comforted in the arms of a worldview that all technology is inherently bad and malicious, good on plod being able to take advantage of t'awd lazy journalism staple to promote the small detail that driving without due *care* to make sure what you're doing is sensible and *attention* on the road ahead is, er, driving without due care and attention (careless driving), actually.

Thumb Down

Yet another story..

... about a tosser who disengaged their brain as soon as they engaged their sat-nav. Though given his choice of car and the fact that he uses his sat-nav extensively for his job then I'd say the brain shut down is probably irreversible by now.

Hopefully the cost of recovering his car will be extracted from him rather then the local tax payers having to cough up for his stupidity

Silver badge
Thumb Down

What a moron

He obviously does not have the wit to drive safely. Jail him and then ban him for life.

Flame

Pratt

As someone who lives just below where his car got stuck I can testify that he is a prat of the upmost. There is no reason why he disbelieved his eyes and kept going along a path which was obviously not a road. As for being a "professional driver" and trusting his satnav, words fail me.

One thing I am glad about the case is that the police are going to charge him with driving without due care and attention. It's about time such stupid actions were publicised so that fewer drivers make such mistakes - especially truck drivers.

More pictures on the Halifax Courier website and elsewhere

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/Satnav-takes-BMW-driver-to.5101232.jp

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1164705/BMW-left-teetering-100ft-cliff-edge-sat-nav-directs-driver-steep-footpath.html

BMW Driver

'nuff said

Silver badge
Flame

"I rely on my satnav. I couldn't do without it for my job"

Yes, I wonder how on earth ordinary people managed to navigate before the wondrous satnav was available. I hear tell of a mythical device, knwoledge of which is passed to only the initiated few - known only as 'map'.

Typical BMW driver

Probably thought he could intimidate the cliff into getting out of his way.

Dead Vulture

Natural selection

tbh its just the next level of Natural selection at work...

Oh noes!

I've just bought a BMW. From the comments here you'd think all BMW drivers are the antichrist.

Stop

@Jaowon. Your example is different.

Mr BMW saw something was wrong before it was too late to recover the situation but made a decision to follow the satnav. This is an example of someone gathering data before making their decision (to drive over a cliff.)

You launched yourself at the national speed limit over a blind summit on an unfamiliar road. This is an example of someone choosing not to gather data (what is over the hill?) before making their decision (to drive too fast).

As for "In the country you have nothing" - you very often do. The indication is that you are in the countryside and there aren't many signs. This means "take care".

Stop - because maybe you should.

Stop

He should have noticed the lack of road, but...

While I agree with all the posts that query his ability to use his eyes for anything further than the satnav. It is interesting to find the location on a map. It appears to be called "Watty Lane":

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sll=53.727023,-2.197152&sspn=0.158839,0.416794&ie=UTF8&ll=53.704919,-2.109879&spn=0.002483,0.006512&t=h&z=17

As far as I can see his final failure was in failing to make the left turn that might have got him onto the next road! It doesn't even look like he tried. So maybe he couldn't see the satnav properly either. Interestingly google show the lane running a bit further north across the field so maybe it was navigable (to a 4x4) at some point. I guess that his Satnav developers got their data on the cheap and allow you to use any road as big as a Lane.

Stop - as that's what he needed.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.