Led by the Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service, a team of British scientists is planning a three-year research project that seeks to fashion synthetic human blood from embryonic stem cells. It's a welcome announcement. The synthetic human blood biz needs a transfusion of its own. Earlier this month, a former synthetic- …
i can see it now
"i cant believe its not blood"
It's a welcome announcement?
Industrial scale abortion as an input to the manufacture of blood.
Quite a lot of metaphors turning into reality.
Isn't this how one of the Blade films starts?
Modern medicine eh?
"embryos originally harvested for in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatments."
So potential human beings - PEOPLE - in fact, just given a willing uterus.
I don't agree with the Pope or Dubya on much, but on this sort of shit they're spot on.
Legalize Adult Stem Cells
There is a group of physicians, patients and other interested people working together to get treatment with adult stem cells legalized in the U.S. as it should be. Please ask your family and friends to sign up ("JOIN"), and get as many doctors to sign up as well.
Potential != Actual
You could argue the glint in your parents' eyes was a potential human being. A transfer ready IVF embryo is typically made up of a tiny handful of cells not even in the double figure range: http://www.advancedfertility.com/8-cell.htm
A tiny bunch of undifferentiated cells is not a "person". The difficulty of course is in deciding when the cells in an embryo become more than the sum of their parts and thus a person.
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Breaking Fad 4K-ing excellent TV is on its way ... in its own sweet time, natch
- First Irish boy band U2. Now Apple pushes ANOTHER thing into iPhones, iPods, iPads
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? NO, it's the Most Exquisite THING. EVER