back to article Intel responds to Psion countersuit

Intel has formally responded to Psion's countersuit, itself launched in response to a lawsuit from the chip giant in a bid to have Psion's Netbook trademark revoked. Central to Psion's counterclaim is that it continues to sell its Netbook Pro handheld computer and thus its trademark, acquired in the late 1990s, is still valid. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

UMC FTW

it perks the nipples, tightens the nads, and moistens the gusset, it is the GShock of the Casio range.

Netbook, well what a daft notion, it is not a book, it is not got holes, or designed in some grid like fashion, it is the Databank of the Casio range.

Anonymous Coward

The Intel SurfSlate

Intel, look you hire people with imagination, they use some of their brain cells and NEW stuff comes out. Thus the world is a better place.

Why not the Intel Surf Slate?

The Blog Buddy?

The Web Wonder?

The "Web in your pocket"

Net glider

Laptot

I'm sure you can come up with something new.

Go Psion go

I don't care whether Psion are right or not, but as the plucky little UK tech company that could; I hope they win.

Admittedly they will then get a bundle of cash for essentially trademark sitting, which is bad, but at least they made the kit once upon a time.

YAY the little guy.

Bronze badge
Coat

@John Stirling

Agreed.

This smacks of the usual "we pwn the world" syndrome that some large companies have. The question is - did Intel look to see if the name was in use anywhere before they started using it? There's implications both ways if you think about it.

It's hardly the first time it has happened either. One example was where a certain large Merkan fruit company made a claim to be the first to put a RISC processor in a desktop machine. Only when they tried to make that claim in the British press did a certain Cambridge nut company tell them the error of their ways. Mind you, said fruits did at least listen to the nuts in question and realised their error when it was shoved down their throats!

Coat

@Chika

Particularly when that same Merkan fruit company was in a join venture with the Cambridge nut company (called after that bit between your shoulder and wrist) to make RISC processors for things which were remarkably similar to todays Netbooks (named after the scientist who had a fruit drop on his head).

Go

Fruit & Nut

Some of the 'stronger' aforementioned RISC processors were used in the actual Psion netBook™, which is at the heart of this terrible scandal. That's pserendipity for you.

Psion need to strike back with a quantum of jedi. It would be ace as compared to Intel they wear a halo, and in the old days packed the punch of both Conan and Odin combined. I suspect David Potter's virtually retired these days, tending to his snowdrops, proteas, tulips and lillies, inbetween watching old repeats of Shelly on ITV3...

Thumb Down

But Psion didn't discontinue them in 2003

Again, I feel the article is written from Intel's point of view.

Psion released the Netbook Pro in October 2003 (albeit replacing the *original* Netbook which was discontinued, but the term Netbook was still in the name of the replacement product). Do you really think they discontinued the Netbook Pro product two months later ... but somehow made millions from the line in 2006?

Hmm.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums