Feeds

back to article Battlestar Galactica eyes 'technology run amok'

Near the end of last Friday's finale of Battlestar Galactica, two of the characters most responsible for touching off the genocidal campaign that nearly wiped out civilization - or their "angels," if you believe in that kind of thing - reflect on the events taking hold on Earth, the planet called home since taking refuge there …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Happy

Battlestar Galactica's real message...

If the Cylons could hear "All Along the Watchtower" in their heads (150,000 years ago), then there is only one way that everything makes sense:

Jimi Hendrix is God

But then we already knew that...

Boffin

A Nitpick

Cavil blew his brains out because his chance at getting his hands on Cylon resurrection technology went out the window when Tyrol snapped Tory's neck before the download could finish.

Did the author watch it?

If the author had watched BSG he would have know that the characters at the end of the finale were "angels." They were NOT Caprica Six or Baltar.

Thumb Up

Well Let me be the first to...

Raise a glass to the finest ship in the fleet...

It's been a good run!

"So say we all!"

DNA

And yet they just turned out to be a load of Golgafrinchans.

Bronze badge

Wrong characters

"...a particularly diabolical version of the Number Six Cylon model observes to Gaius Baltar".

I *know* I'm going to sound like a fanboi (I enjoyed the show, BTW, but did not obsess about it), but I'd like to point out those two characters were *not* Caprica and Baltar, but were the "angels" (to use Baltar's name for them) which plagued the two during the entire show.

Overall, a very "Gallforce"-like ending - I'm betting a lot of people won't like it.

Thumb Down

Re: BG's real message...

Or... Maybe the writers had no frakking idea where they were going the last two seasons. I'm glad it's over. Let's let Caprica sink without a trace, and we can put this whole mess behind us.

Thumb Up

Re: Battlestar Galactica's real message...

No disrespect intended to the inestimable Mr. Hendrix, but I think the divinity here belongs to Bob Dylan, who wrote the song. As usual.

I have heard, though, that Dylan now prefers to perform "Watchtower" in the Hendrix style. And who wouldn't?

As for the ending, I found it oddly satisfying. We didn't get all the answers that the promos on the SciFi (er, "SyFy") Channel promised, but it still just worked so nicely...

Thumb Up

milions of light years?

"in galaxies separated by millions of light years"

the comment that Adama makes about "a million light years" wasn't meant to be taken literally, he was just using the number as a hyperbolic metaphor. On the few occasions that we've been given some idea of either the location of the Fleet or of Earth, they've shown the journey as taking place in one galaxy, presumably since they got here, the Milky Way. We also know that Colonial FTL isn't supposed to be even remotely capable of intergalactic travel and that even the vastly more efficient Cylon FTL system controlled by the Hybrids isn't able to make those kind of jumps either, and that long distances such as that to get to the Resurrection Hub had to be undertaken in stages.

Shame no-one bothered to go back to the other Earth for Number 3.

I'm still not getting how, if the Earth in Daybreak 2 is our Earth 150,000 years ago, why did the other "Earth" show North America in Crossroads 2 and the star patterns be those of the Zodiac as confirmed by Felix Gaeta's navigational check?

Still it wasn't a bad ending and at least it didn't do a Galactica '80!

wot, no Colonial Fleet icon?

Silver badge

@Dan Goodin

"Sometimes the dystopian story was almost too dark to take."

Yep - more than almost for me and my wife; we stopped watching after season two. The show was fantastically well-done, but so damned stressful and dark that it stopped being -fun-. By that point, pretty much everyone in the show was scarred, wretched, and hopeless - and then they decided all that wasn't enough and threw in some torture and rape to spice things up.

I run my own business, and decided that I had enough stress during the day without coming home and stressing out watching a TV show, no matter how good it was...

For me, the show that best straddled the line between dark and hopeful was Star Trek: DS9, particularly in its later seasons. Things were hard, people made tough (and often bad) decisions, but you got the feeling that they were living for more than just not being dead.

Alien

And so say we all

'Nuff said

Silver badge

to Winston Smith

Agreed, Dylan said of Hendrix's Watchtower "It's his song, all my songs are his".

It was a fun T.V show, enjoyed it immensly, glad it that summer is on the way, roll on the beer and the beer gardens, girls and dancefloors, frisbees and parks.

Bronze badge

Oh, dear...

I am not a number, I am Henri Poincaré!

IT Angle

Huh?

So apart from the fanboy lament that after 2 seasons of action and two seasons of navel-gazing and plot ret-cons it's finally over...was there any point to this?

Joke

Hitchhiker ending

The "B" ship finally made it to earth, including the bathtub in CIC!

I was half expecting someone to clobber a rabbit to turn it into a bag.

Still, good fun while it lasted. Now I have to find something else to watch...

Flame

Ahem!

You could have at least mentioned the words

*** SPOILER ALERT!! ***

For those that haven't yet seen it... (not me though)

plonkers....

Thumb Down

Yeah

I agree with the above comment, the writers of the show didn't know where it was going early on. They were just making things up as they went.

The ending was... meh. I kinda expected it.

Happy

A small mercy.

That the worst SF show ever made is finally finished.

What atotal and utter piece of rubbish this show was.

Hopefully they will use the money to make a decent show!

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: A small mercy. / By Dav

Great! I'm glad that I'm not the only one to notice that the show was extremely boring, poor, annoying and in the end, just plain rubbish.

Watched the entire of the first couple of series, but just started to miss the odd episode and ceased to care about missing them. From vacuous idiotic characters, inept "command structures", dumb situations, ridiculous plots and sub-plots, the overriding "war on terror" theme that was coming through and multiple episodes that all had the feel of "filler" about them it just became a chore. In most episodes nothing much happened and the continual flicking from one location to another as if we've got no attention span was very tiresome.

Thumb Down

Cheap soap schlock

Dreary, sh^H^Hgritty, and above all cheap religious and social metaphor. An absolute disgrace to it's fun and cheesy namesake. Thank fsck it's over, the only pity now is the original will be tainted by this pile of garbage for future generations.

Bronze badge
Coat

All over?

In the orginal Cylons own words "Exxcitting newzzz"

Thumb Up

Gods Plan

But even that is too much certainty. So the Number Six adds: "That, too, is in God's plan."

You know it hates that name.

Throughly enjoyed every frackkin minute of the whole damn thing, especially true of the end episode(s).

Those that haven't seen it yet have a real treat in store.

The ending..

...should have had more flyng bikes.

BSG

BSG was a very entertaining TV show and served to divide people into two groups, those who liked or disliked it and the inbred scum who couldn't understand it. That's the american educational system for you.

Thumb Down

@Craig Foster

You mean this wasent enough of a warning:

Battlestar Galactica eyes 'technology run amok'

Spoiler Alert Remind you of anything?

Anonymous Coward

Also...

Did anyone see Eastenders last night?

Thumb Up

Great show, but it wasn't The Shield.

BSG will go on to be the argument point for many people for decades, but I'd like to say I enjoyed it.

Great writing, good looking cast and a genuine tingle down the spine on the last episode.

*The Wire starts on BBC 2 next week

Anonymous Coward

BSG

Might have been quite a good show if it wasn't so comically and laughably American.

I guess it just doesn't cross the Atlantic very well.

Me? I gave up halfway through the first series.

Unhappy

Lay-in on Saturday mornings!

Well now that it's over I no longer feel the need to get up at stupid-o-clock on a saturday morning to download the latest episode so I can get my "battlestar fix" as early as possible...........

I loved/love the show - The darkness made it so much more refreshing than anything I've seen before - DS9 series 5, 6 and 7 nearly took us there, but never quite had the balls to go the whole way. Battlestar was about Genocide, and the fight for survival against an unrelenting and unbeatable enemy - If it wasn't dark and downright depressing at times (especially the secong half of series four - poor Dee :( ) it just would not have been the experience it was.

I am glad it had an ending - A lot of finale's leave enough scope for a sequel or direct spinoff - This didn't. The second half could have been a little shorter, with a lot less flashbacks, but the show has always put one thing ahead of the technology or even the plot - the charecters. We got to see them say their goodbyes, knowing that most of them would be ok.

Glad "The Plan" has been scheduled for the Autumn - gives me something to look forward to.

So... where are the fossilised ships?

And the little artifacts like binoculars, and ammo crates, and stuff like that? Surely we'd have found some trace by now. And why did Adama feel like he had to go and live the life of a hermit for some reason? (When he was talking to Laura, I half expected it to pan out with her propped up, several months dead, with him going slightly mad pretending she just doesn't talk much these days...)

Yeah, I did get the feeling they were making it up as they went along a bit, and got near the end and went "oh shit, how do we end this?". Didn't make it much less fun though.

Silver badge

Bad ending to a crummy series

Go with your first impressions.

That was the lesson I learned from watching BSG from the beginning. It started with a civilisation that had faster-than-light spacecraft, massively powerful AIs, what seemed to be a mature and stable society (although based on the subjugation and exploitation of intelligent machines). Yet, the people still wore spectacles, depended on field-telephones on their versions of Enterprise and required 1980's (there's the clue) style video cameras to film their political system, that hadn't evolved from the 19th-century. Now I realise that all this was merely a framework to hang a story on, but it grated. If the writers can't even get the basic science to be consistent, what hope is there for the story they wish to tell? The answer, as we find out 4 years later is none, at all.

Add into the mix a load of mystic nonsense about "arrows", that "point" the way to earth. A robotic adversary that turns out to be human - right down to the genetic level and you can see the basic premise falling apart right on the screen, every yawn-worthy time it's on. I gave up on watching this junk years ago - although I admit to watching an episode here-or-there, just to see if it got any better - it didn't.

The newsgroups were all a-flurry when the "heroes" (whoops, here comes another turkey) landed on what they thought was earth. I duly gave it another chance to be good - FAIL. It turned out to be the Planet of the Apes set. Boy, did I laugh!

But worse was to come. The finale (here comes the spoiler, unless you're reading this on Wednesday) was a collection of messianic nonsense in the first half and (as others have pointed out) a complete rip of HHGTTG in the second half - even to the point of closing on an iconic piece of music: I was half expecting Louis Armstrong, I must admit. We now hear that the writers are saying that it wasn't about science fiction, it was about the people. Well, fine: it goes from being a space opera to a soap opera. This sounds so much like a back-pedalling rationaliastion, that I can't help thinking they didn't really have much of a clue where they were going - other than the basic idea of ripping the original 1970's series.

So, my first impressions were that it was bad. It didn't reconcile the science (oh, here's another one: why do their manned (gimme a break, 1940's/WW2 much?) fighters suffer from multipath distortion on their radio transmissions - they couldn't possibly be using A.M.) with the concept. The story meandered for years and eventually went out with a bang, then a whimper. Nothing I saw during it's entire run changed my mind from the first impressions. The only real contribution it made was to give us all FRAK.

Coat

Angels?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Just saying.

Tom

Hmm...

I tried very hard to watch the new BSG but it lost me somewhere near the end of series 3 when it had 12 episodes about nothing and it turned out that EVERYONE were Cylons!

""That, too, is in God's plan."

"Please, you know he hates that name."

Happy

All I'm doing...

is sitting here humming "all along the watchtower" have been for the last three days...

Dumdumdumdum. dum dum de dahdahdah dahdahdah...

Anonymous Coward

Puerile cliched rubbish

Maybe mankind will do something different and lose all the religious crap that ruined this already lame series in the second season.

Jay
Alien

Cylons should be big, clunky and metal

@Colonel Panic Agreed! Must start reading that Hendrix biography I picked up the other day.

I gave up watching at the end of series three when half the cast turned out to be Cylons. Though before that I was starting to lose interest anyway. I guess I should dig out the original series box set!

Thumb Down

Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing

@Ron Christian:

Couldn't agree more. Seasons 4&5 have been a confused, but well-executed, mess. It became increasingly clear that Ronald D. Moore really had no idea where it was all going. As a writer, Moore is an excellent technician, but he lacks the fundamental vision needed to make things work on this scale. All his obscure hints and allusions turned out to be either empty or trite. The final episode was, "full of sound and fury; signifying nothing," to quote the Bard.

Coat

Personally

I welcome our Cylon overlords.

Flame

I, for one

..am glad my decision not to waste my life watching that tosh has been justified. So the plot makes no sense until it's revealed that it's all part of god's great plan? Good grief, what a crock. I had to endure the shite original 80s version because it was that or the test card, but now it's the future and we can has Internet.

Coat

spoilers

damn you damn you all i clicked and have spoiled it now! blasted DVD pre order now rendered null

ah well

/hits turbo on his MK2 viper and heads for the nearest imploding sun

Pigs in space

Maybe the BSG producers thought they were being deep and meaningful, but by the end of series one it was clearly a becoming an Eastenders-style soap on a Star Trek set. Jim Henson did it better.

Sounds like it didn't improve through the other series.

Coat

Was this thing still on?

I assumed it would have been canned by the networks years ago? I watched the first few episodes of the first season and spent the whole time alternating between being almost terminally bored and splitting my sides at just how far up its own bottom the whole thing seemed to be trying to get. Comparisons with DS9 are appropriate - it was a right load of old tosh too, although it did at least manage a decent season or two before it also descended into hideous auto-proctology.

Even the execrable Babble-on Five managed almost an entire season before becoming as tedious as this latest Battlestar tripe. If the writers have at least tried to end the story without leaving gaping avenues open for an even more dreadful sequel, then I approve. Good riddance.

And as far as examining the human condition goes, mine's the one with the copy of Russell's History of Western Philosophy in the pocket.

(Written by Reg staff)

gosh

You lot don't half get shouty about small stuff.

piss poor finally for middle america.

I wonder what happened to ron moore balls, he must have lost them the same time he lost the plot for his show.

what a dreay ending to a great show.

1. Galaticas send off..ta out of money a cheap shot of the fleet heading to the sun ..low key is being polite.

2. angels ...enough said.

3. starbuck..what was that about what an easy get out, maybe she'll quantum leap and find sam.

4.cavil's death anti climax indeed.

5. back to the stoneage utter nonsense, living off the land is a hard life and pre historic man's life expectancy was 20-30 for a reason.., here mr sabertooth tiger let me defend myself with my scrolls of pifhia.(it is like the story of the 2 cameramen when they see a lion begin to charge them the 1st one starts putting on running shoes and taking his boots off, the 2nd guy says you will never out run a lion, the first guys replies ,yes thats true but i only have to out run you)they think they where at each other throats before.

6.six and baltar(angles..yuck)at the end supreme chesse, it would have fit right in the original series or maybe the a-team or heaven can wait,

7. the opera house..what piffal the image of the five standing in CnC ws so bad it was creepy.

8. where did leoban go or boxey or the 300 other loose ends the writers forgot about, and there is no way i will watch any spin off's like caprica , once bitten....

the whole thing just got rushed -10 for a finally more the panto than opera.

Anonymous Coward

I liked it

Watched in HD on Sunday

Spent all day Monday annoying a work mate about it who won't see it to Tuesday.

Stop

Is that the show...

... that was some thinly veiled left-wing anti Iraq war diatribe, using men in space suits instead of men in soldiers uniforms, 'cos we're too thick to understand anything else?

I stopped watching after the first episode on UK telly. Jeesh, what a load of cack.

As for those of you who can site every twist in the sorry story; e.g:

"Cavil blew his brains out because his chance at getting his hands on Cylon resurrection technology went out the window when Tyrol snapped Tory's neck before the download could finish."

I'm working my way through recently purchased box sets:

The Sweeny (shut it you slaaaag)

The Professionals (just ever so slightly camp, in a good way, not a 'Carry On' way)

Minder (Oh my good gawd Terence)

Bottom (should be compulsory viewing for all school kids)

The Young Ones (WAS compulsory viewing when I was at school)

The old stuff *is* better. Sorry, but it was. And you get reminded of just how shit those cars your Dad had to drive really were.

And everyone smoked tabs.

And no-one wore seat-belts.

That's how fricken hard they were ;-)

Ahhh... I feel much better now - back to work!

Can I say, with the utmost respect, please, do get out more and meet people. Most of them are very nice and won't stab you.

In fairness, to Alex who made the above quoted posting, you did use the geek icon, so I forgive you ;-)

Thumb Up

Personally

I found the show intriguing. So what if all the 'little details' don't work out? Look back at life, and all the things you used to think made sense, until it later turned out that it was essentially randomness, and just reading many things into small signals (that were purely coincidental).

The characters were great. The subplots were subtle. The subterfuge realistic..

Not seen the end yet, but looking forward to it. It's one of those shows that's had its highs and lows, the odd episode that was put in purely for characterisation, which is fine in any story..

More please.

Anonymous Coward

Final Episode

It was like reading a Stephen King book. Fantastic story until the ending, which was rushed and not thought out. Damn stupid ending. Characters behaving completely out of character. Cavil was so interesting and hellbent... only to blow his brains out???

The ending also suffered the 'deathstar' ending. Something that big would have had thousands of raiders (a fully armed deathstar would have had more than a dozen ties) and huge guns of death. Hardly any centurions roaming said facility (should have been an anthill of them). Maybe the guns were to disable the ship to take the final five alive, but the fire power wasn't concentrated on anything in particular. The fact that Cavil was risking death by entering the Galactica didn't make a whole lot of sense either.

The 'angel' thing wasn't really thought out either. I can accept something ending without all the answers nice and available, but it smelled like 'Final Fantasy: Advent Children"... interesting story, then towards the end, a bunch of random people show up (never discussed or shown throughout the beginning of the movie but described as 'oh, these are our friends'). The point of leaving a story hanging is to force the watcher to think for an answer. This angel thing was pretty convoluted.

Thought I'd better post anon... I'm geeky enough without advertising it.

Thumb Up

I liked it.

Well I enjoyed it - OK I thought the ending (the last 20 minutes anyway) was just a little contrived. But whatever, best thing on telly for the last 5 or so years...

@Sarah Bee - "You lot don't half get shouty about small stuff." - Small stuff?! SMALL stuff?!!!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.