back to article Wally found on Street View

On releasing Street View UK this week, Google set users the challenge of finding "Wally", the elusive, bespectacled children's cartoon character, somewhere in the UK. Within hours he was clocked: here he is loitering outside the O2 shop on Putney High Street: Bit easy that, Googlers, although a mildly diverting distraction …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Coat

*says something about

waiting for a bus on Slade Road being equivalent to "pissing in the wind"*

What a shocker

As if it were going to be in any other city.

Somewhere in the UK - that kidney shaped country encircled by a border called The M25.

Dead Vulture

That's "Waldo."

n/t

Anonymous Coward

In before

In before privacy activists use the second picture to imply that street view is both evil and wrong, and that people pissing in the street, in broad daylight have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Thumb Up

OMG

I drive down Slade Road dailys, and always thought it was a bit of a shit hole. Now it's also a piss-hole too.

Thumb Down

Wally

Erm that wally has a stick and mangled legs, you sure its not just a badly dressed stick enabled person ?

Paris Hilton

Did you swallow a dicshunary

Micturition!!!!!! You're taking the piss... right

Paris, no micturition vid....... YET!!!

@ Martin

Is the expression "pissing in the wind" somehow related to the expression "getting your own back"?

Oh Jeez, that was me

I've just realised on looking at that bus stop, that was me.

OMG, I feel Google has "caused me mental suffering and diminished the value of my property."

(OK, so the cold wind had already diminished it somewhat)

Does anyone have the telephone number for the Boring lawyer?

EDIT: Dammit, that line should have read:

Does anyone have the telephone number for the "Boring's" lawyer?

Hell, I don't want to be snowed under with telephone numbers.

Thumb Down

Slade Road

Hilariously, I work a short distance from the Slade Road Pisser(tm) location. Can't say I'm suprised to see something like that occuring.

Alert

Not surprised...

I used to live just off Slade Road - that's one of the better things that used to happen at the bus stops.

Only the classiest people in our fair city.

I used to live just up the hill from Slade Road and Spaghetti Junction. Can't say that photo surprises me nor do I miss the area.

another wally buying an iPhone

sorry

Joke

@Hans

Was it a cold day?

Thumb Up

I wish...

.... that I knew when google maps were going to be in my area, then I could paint something on the front of the house. What exactly I'm not sure...

Answers on a postcard to El Reg

Boffin

@that's Waldo

No It isn't. He was originally Wally, (1987) and is in many countries. Only in North America is he called Waldo, and last time I looked the UK wasn't in North America.

Coat

Plod found on Streetview

Just saw a police car behind the Google voyeur-mobile in Manchester's Peter St. Which makes me wonder? How many times were the Peeping Toms stopped by the Police to be (a) told they can't take photos round here and (b) asked to delete the offending photos?

Mine's the one with the forcibly erased SD card.

Thumb Down

@ Graham T

Since when has UK not been part of North America, or US to be exact?

Methinks you delude yourself

Coat

@Graham

Huh. Learn something new every day.

Thanks for straightening me out.

The scarf should have tipped me off that he was a Brit.

Black Helicopters

all in a day's work

Google have pre-announced their drive through Switzerland, but not the starting date.

http://www.inside-it.ch/frontend/insideit?_d=_article&site=ii&news.id=17233

Presumably, the announcement improves the chances of being seen to be doing no evil.

Bronze badge
Coat

Pissing in Birmingham

Too much Cup-o-Soup, was it?

Happy

best friday in a long, long time

and that's no wee thing to do!

Paris Hilton

Oh No!

Unless I'm mistaken the guy watering the lawn is probably not an English gentleman. In other words he's a foreigner (I'm guessing). If so google are going to be in some sherious sh1t real shoon now.

Because we aren't allowed to take the p out of foreigners, are we?

Paris because one can hope that you might catch her having a tinkle at the bus stop.

Joke

ey up Cocker............

He was clearly bostin'

@Hans

Since 1776 when we got tired of the Brits freeloading off us.

Thumb Up

gooooooood

Slade Road - students from Aston uni rent houses out up there. I lost count of the number of times I saw "ladies" being arrested up there, houses being raided and general riotous activity. Still, there was only the one murder in my time there.... Pissing on the bus stop is probably one of the more respectable things people have done there - plus at least he did it outside, most piss heads up there just piss on the upstairs seats of the 65....

Coat

I found another Wally/Waldo...

I knew that there was a Wally cardboard cutout in Angel, Islington and found it on street view on Thursday

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mpl?layer=c&ie=UTF8&moduleurl=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.co.uk%2Fhelp%2Fmaps%2Fstreetview%2Fmapplet.html&mapclient=google&cbll=51.536313,-0.102112&panoid=ete6XrOmZwJ5k0iGeRTz-A&cbp=12,288.87591037587424,,3,3.257403189066058&ll=51.536159,-0.103887&spn=0,359.99058&z=17

Therefore, do I win? :p

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums