Feeds

back to article Google Street View hits UK streets

Late yesterday, Google launched novelty snoop service Street View in the UK, offering views of, er, streets. At launch, 17 English cities, four Scottish cities, two Welsh cities, and one in Northern Ireland are available for exploration. Up to a point anyway; typically only major thoroughfares in city centres are covered, except …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

They're invading Ireland too...

Apparently they hit Dublin, Cork and Galway this week

Black Helicopters

Nabbed another spymobile in Europe ...

Speaking of StreetView, I caught a Google SpyMobile red-handed last Monday in Enschede, the Netherlands, its furtive driver splitting attention between a laptop, the dashboard and the road ...

Coat

indentifiable?

Is that identify with a hammer?

Mines the one with the hood up and dark glasses

Cannot acces it...

Oh well... would have been good to see. But I'm unable to get access :(

Anonymous Coward

title

Would've thought you guys wouldn've had it for ages - us Australians got it a while ago, it's pretty much our entire country.

Black Helicopters

Glasgow confirmed.

Spotted one coming back from East Kilbride the other day. I wouldn't film East Kilbride either though, TBH.

Just looked in Parliament Square...

You can see Brian Haw and some bloke next to him but Bush's face has been blurred on a placard.

Bronze badge
Black Helicopters

Yay its me...

I found me taking a piccy of google car...I'm blurred and so is my back in another image.. now to refer to the other images and to find other Reg readers snapping the gcar..

Only major roads?

This is Aston Lane, Glasgow. Clearly part of the M8.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?geocode=FUyTVAMdhn2-_w&split=0&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=6.881357,14.941406&ll=55.875792,-4.291105&spn=0.010762,0.034719&z=15&iwloc=addr&layer=c&bll=55.874637,-4.293066&panoid=Xm3XttHT-h5RSkQ3efp_vA&cbp=12,207.50232481542253,,0,5

Black Helicopters

Wrong Turn...

Having a nose at vulture central glasshouse street is a bit odd... looks like the gcar went up brewer street but the image is placed on glass house... bizzare we know the car definatly went down glasshouse as el reg snapped it entering picadilly yet theres no images...

Stop

Ermm, is it actually on?

I've just tried to find some street view for Newcastle and I can't find any evidence of it...anyone had any luck?

Go

Patchy coverage of Narrage

I'd say the coverage of Norwich is pretty patchy but all in all it was quite interesting having a look around some of the places I used to live (Derby, Sheffield and Norwich). It at least gave me a good half an hour's amusement.

Rob

Syd

Only major thoroughfares in city centres?

Appears to be a bit more than that in York - I can see streets well outside the city center - including the Victorian terrace cul-de-sac where an old friend lives, which is over a mile from what our American cousins would call downtown.

Couple of guys getting nicked in Camden?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=camden+high+street&sll=51.539022,-0.139282&sspn=0.002429,0.013808&ie=UTF8&cd=1&ll=51.539529,-0.141749&spn=0.009716,0.055232&z=15&iwloc=addr&layer=c&cbll=51.539628,-0.141733&panoid=j9S38heNbgn4gV4a99BBZA&cbp=12,344.1995688971409,,0,0.05244755244754902

"only major thoroughfares in city centres are covered"

Not true for Glasgow, anyway: I live in a suburban cul-de-sac of 16 houses which is fully covered on Street View. Looks like I was out when they visited...

Black Helicopters

Goes beyond the cities

More than the cities - they've done some smaller places, like Forfar, and Peterhead amongst others.

Happy

I spy...

a massive timewasting fest ahead!!

Easy to find covered streets.

If you put it onto split screen for Street View and Map, you can drag the little yellow man around and it'll highlight which streets have images.

am I being dumb?

Whats the link to get street view to show?

It missed me

I was in Leeds a while ago and one of the cars drove past me as I was crossing the road near the station. Looking at the pictures from there I'm not on the picture so I must have a stealth facility. That's kind of nifty.

nae
Pirate

A title is required.

saw a google car in the wilds outside the back of falkirk this week

Anonymous Coward

It's messed up...

Berkeley street in Mayfair, where it meets Stratton street... not!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&ie=UTF8&om=1&layer=c&ll=51.507667,-0.144056&spn=0,359.990473&z=17&cbll=51.508241,-0.143325&panoid=WXaum6p-ynYbqSJUQ4uT2Q&cbp=12,270.53657098301693,,0,7.635135135135134

Stop

Arghh! The tossers have got a picture of me!

Standing on my kitchen sink doing, well, something... most likely cleaning the windows...

Face not visible, but I'm the only one in my house who does that* and I can easily identify my shabby clothes...

I shan't be advertising where it is as I can't stand StreetView and by asking lots of people to look at this would undermine any attempt to get all images of my house removed.

Now, who else has spotted themselves?!

Black Helicopters

Have you seen anyone acting suspiciously?

A colleague at work had a knock on his door about 5 minutes after this picture was taken. The guys loading the lawnmomers on the van asked him if he had seen anyone acting suspiciously as their lawnmowers had just been knicked.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=n14+7al&sll=51.597161,-0.110314&sspn=0.006691,0.021887&ie=UTF8&ll=51.621574,-0.134089&spn=0,359.978113&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.621651,-0.134245&panoid=vRECveVAEFJrPVz2mXYbyw&cbp=12,156.18582320520653,,0,9.941176470588235

DR

dear oh dear

I've now started wasting time virtually wandering the streets that I actually live in.

Anonymous Coward

"only major thoroughfares"?

"typically only major thoroughfares in city centres are covered, except in London."

I'm not so sure about that: I live down a cul-de-sac on the edge of Birmingham, and our road (and all the other minor residential streets around us) are photo'd up.

Stop

Booo

Thats no good, noone I know is covered by the camera's - we've all fallen outside the scope of the evil eye o google. Perhaps it will be coming later in the year, I've seen several of the advanced invasion vehicles doing reconnaissance round by 'ere.

Just checked out my street

And it's on there. Unfortunately somebody parked a crappy old Volvo outside my house when the Googmobile went by -- hope no-one thinks it's mine. And you can see a postman, so it must have been late in the afternoon.

Weymouth

The google street view camera was in Weymouth last Friday.

They got my car

It would appear my car has been snapped outside my house, reg blurred though good job!

Flame

Smoker-watch

Very handy for catching the smokers outside your office - I'd recognise that coat anywhere.

Lot of Liverpool City Centre missing though.

Anonymous Coward

Brewe Streev1

Rotate 180 degrees and look at the stret name sign on the wall of the Warick. Are google renaming the streets

Anonymous Coward

Who has been a naughty neighbour then

Was just having a look at my house and noticed my neighbours front door was open and what appears to be a half naked man having a smoke. The face bluring does an ok job on the picture taken outside the house but go a bit further down the road and can zoom in and clearly make out its not the guy who lives there. His wifes car is parked outside though so looks like she is home...

Anonymous Coward

Hmmmm - My house

Well my house is on it.

One in Cheshire

Saw one on Saturday at the end of Prince Albert Street.

I sahll be interested to see if Im on it...

Happy

OMIGOD WHAT HAPPENED TO MY LEGS I CAN'T FEEL MY LEGS

AND MINE JUST GOT HIDEOUSLY ELONGATED!

Tragic accident at

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.197178,0.147221&spn=0,359.973822&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.197173,0.147358&panoid=6YkO2k0LAPv6-OWX3jbM-w&cbp=12,351.44711677243276,,0,49.815573770491724

rofl!

Bradford Too

Bradford and Shipley are covered too - but I guess you've bundled that in with Leeds?

Unhappy

Visible faces and number plates

Just checked my own street, as one does.

In it, I found :-

- my car, with numberplate partially legible

- a neighbour's car, with numberplate clearly legible

- the neighbour himself, with face clear and unblurred

The 'automatic' blurring clearly isn't working, and somebody just isn't doing their job. They've obviously just stuck it all up onto the web and waited for us all to complain.

I've sent three complaints to them, and, considering ours is a private street (maintained by a residents' association and not by the local council), I'm now thinking of taking advice as to whether Google have the right to take pictures of it at all.

Anonymous Coward

partialview

They definitely do seem to be selective. Take a look at Santa Monica in LA. At the junction of Wilshire Blvd and Ocean Ave you can't see anything of the Fairmont Hotel, the same image repeats all along the road. Money talks...

Happy

yours hopefully

I just found myself walking along a road in gOgle Steetview. Do I win a prize?

Black Helicopters

Strange Phenomonen..

I have three street view presences.. can you beat three?

I have found my car at work and at home and also on another street..

they crept past my house very early one morning.. all the curtains in the street are drawn..

Coat

Typical Brit effort

Looking at the StreetView of some of my old stomping grounds in York and London, it's pretty obvious that thoroughness was not on the agenda. Whole sections of streets are missing, as if the spymobilers decided they couldn't be arsed, and it was nearly opening time anyway.

Mines the one with 20 Woodbines in the pocket.

The inbred hicks....

of Sheffield are already whinging about it. Check out the comments such as "stalkers tool" at:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=467009

Go

Where's Wally?

You haven't picked up on the Wally hidden somewhere in the UK! I propose a pint to whoever finds it.

Black Helicopters

Weird

The seem to have not done the middle of the new town in Edinburgh for some reason but they have done places like my street (witch is hardly a major thoroughfare (being a dead end off another quiet street).

Wow.

I live many miles outside Central London - basically on the surrey border, on a small insignificant little road. And found myself staring at my front door.

Bronze badge

Interesting face-blurring

It seems an awfully large number of road-signs are getting the face blur too.

Not that face-blurring stops you from recognising someone by their arse. Some dundonian women are quite distinctive that way.

Stop

Missed Worgan Street in Vauxhall

They've missed Worgan St, in Vauxhall SE11. I wonder how many other streets were missed?

Anonymous Coward

Oh no! Non-blurred faces!

I demand that people looking at my face in public blur it out. Think of the privacy!

For a country with leaders who are criminalizing cartoons and advocating the arrest of people based on private thoughts, you'd think you'd have better things to do than foam at the mouth about a mapping service.

And the first Streetview victim is...

in Shoreditch. Natch.

http://tinyurl.com/c4b72m

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.