back to article HP streams 'confidential' town hall meeting to world+dog

When HP senior vice president and general manager Joe Eazor opened today's EDS "Global Town Hall" meeting, he gave employees a stern warning about the evils of sharing top-secret HP info with anyone outside the company. HP employees have been known to share internal memos with the likes of, well, The Register. Just this week, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Humm

I wonder why those EDS employees wouldn't be terribly concerned with the confidentiality of his speech. Could it be the massive layoffs? Nah. Could it be ever increasing salary cuts? Nah. Could it be that it seems HP is singling out and shitting on EDS while jealously guarding it's own top brass? Nah couldn't possibly be that either. Humm you know I just don't know why they couldn't be bothered to give a rusty fuck about his confidentiality message. Then again I may be over looking something obvious being sick and all.

cheers

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Currently ~15% less confidential

Given the recent turn of events, I'd say any EDSers in the US (that are still part of the "family") only have about 85% confidentiality left. Seems our confidentiality has taken two hits already this year and there's sure to be more than that left. For world+dog, they're better citizens, as they still retain an amazing 95% of their confidentiality.

Mine's the one with the gilded parachute (labeled PINK-SLIP).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Who cares

Who would really care....we all know that for a long time now HP has stood for HOPELESS PRODUCTS......don't even start on their piss poor software & drivers

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know HP

has printers, is said to be big in the health care sector (where they sell lots of medical devices), and the EDS acquisition massively boosts the size of their services arm, but do they actually compete in any other sectors?

They sure as hell don't compete in the UNIX market (HP-UX is such a steaming pile of crudware), and Itanium based servers have never really amounted to much.

Given the rate at which they are decimating the EDS ranks, it looks like they are going to mismanage themselves right back out of the services market, leaving themselves only the commodity printers and medical devices.

5. jake Silver badge

Again, how the mighty have fallen.

From top of the line instrumentation ... to this.

Bill & Dave are spinning ...

Sad.

6. Tom

@AC 20-03-09 5:24 GMT

Once upon a time, long, long, long ago in a faraway land HP was one of the major producers of all sorts of very interesting scientific research equipment, from home boffin gear to expensive university and government gear. Unfortunately, both H and P long ago retired and have since passed on to the great gear factory in the sky. Since then the carcass of HP has been beset by maggots like Fiorinia or whatever the hell her name was. Now they are just another name in the commodity hardware biz.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Family?

Family my arse.

Not much talk of "family" when he's laying people off, is there?

8. Lew
    Coat

No Meds Here

HP sold off it's medical devices unit to Phillips in 2001 (or 2002?).

So there's even less of a shell of its former self than you thought.

Mine's the one with the Pink Slip from 2001.

9. CaptainBeaky
    Alert

Family!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Josef Fritzl treated his family better than ths bunch

Just got the insruction to sign the code of ethics..............................I will if Hurd does

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Loyalty

Unless it involves a large sum of money and a signed agreement, I show employers as much loyalty as they show me.

11. Matt Bryant Silver badge

Must be those knives in the backs creating all the leaks!

From chats with some current EDS'ers and hp'ers, it seems there is more than a sense of betrayal being nursed by some EDS staff, just like there was amongst some hp staff laid off in 2001. Some of this seems to be due to the forced paycuts, some to fear of redundancy. How the EDS management failed to realise there would be some bitter bods just itching to ignore any confidentiality warnings is beyond me! It's human nature. Putting out an insecure vid link was beyond incompetent, but then a lot of these "senior management talk to the peons" type vids are just ego trips for the CxOs who like to think they are "communicating" with their employees.

12. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Fools

It goes to show what idiots are now running HP/EDS. This serves Mark Hurds purpose.

So HP has invested a further $1.9bn in EDS, did they say where ? Of course not it is a lie.

This "customer base assett stripping" will continue until the EDS brand is mud in the industry then HP will ditch it and then there will be more massive layoffs.

Keep asking them the key question guys.."Will senior execs be taking a bonus this year ?"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like