Feeds

back to article Nokia sweetens juice-monitor app

Forum Nokia's very-useful-to-a-select-minority power usage logger has been expanded to log a load more system states, which should equally expand the interested market for the app. Nokia's Energy Profiler, an application that monitors and logs the power consumed on a S60 FP1+ device, has been updated. Version 1.2 can now log CPU …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

No need for such software

I have my own means of telling whether my N95 battery status:

Has it been switched on for more than a few hours? Have I made more than twenty minutes of phone calls? Then the battery is about to run out.

Paris Hilton

Application drinks itself?

.... but running the juice-monitor application 24/7 will itself no doubt lead to significantly reduced battery life, sigh.

To achieve anything like respectable battery run times with my S60 phone I need to shut down those apps like a tyrant as soon as they're done with. Leave a few running by accident and the battery runs flat in no time.

Self-destructing apps, now that would be useful for preserving battery life. A bit of code that could be added to any application or service so that if it has not been used/accessed within a user-defined period of time, it closes on its own.

Jobs Horns

Battery

Good, but I do not need it. My E51 runs on a couple of days without needing a recharge. That is with a couple of hours of WiFi, talk time and stream of texts.

re: Andrew Bush

The company I work for have got an app in closed beta testing at the moment that shuts down applications and switches off features (GPS / Bluetooth / etc) as the battery level drops.

Email beta@battery-extender.com if you're interested in giving it a try.

Silver badge

@Chris Williams

What are you doing with your poor phone? I have an original (pre-8gig) N95 with it's original battery and it lasts days.

1) Make sure you have the latest firmware (free download and install from Nokia site), the very early firmware was bad with the battery.

2) If you don't need to use something, turn it off. e.g. Wifi, GPS, bluetooth and if you don't need 3G, switch to the old GPRS network, it's less of a power muncher

3) If you have no signal, e.g. on a tube, turn the phone offline. This goes for any mobile. If they can't see a cell they crank up their broadcast power and start screaming the wireless version of "HELLOOOO!"

4) Close down apps you're not using. Hold down the application button (the funny blue swirl) and you'll get the S60 equiv of alt-tab... Navigate up and down the list and you can press C to close them without having to go into each one.

Almost Handy

I like the WiFi power meter. What I really want is a WiFi survey tool for my nokia e71, showing, signal, SNR, etc in real time.

Bod
Bronze badge

More than just an energy profiler

CPU, memory, network performance, signal strengths (inc WLAN), and much more.

Very useful developer app and does far more than some 3rd party apps which cost money!

I wonder if Apple release this kind of stuff (and for free!)? ;)

@Steve Evans - re, 2 & 3. Indeed. And more so if you have poor or no 3G signal and the phone is set to GSM and 3G. It will frequently hunt for a 3G signal and back to GPRS, which will sap the battery in no time compared to just sitting on 3G or GPRS alone.

This topic is closed for new posts.