back to article Iomega Home Media Network

The Home Media Network Hard Drive sounds like an all-singing, all-dancing multimedia extravaganza, along the same lines as Iomega’s recently-released ScreenPlay Pro HD. However, it’s actually a much more modest proposition than that. Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive Iomega's Home Media Network Hard Drive: just a basic NAS …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

Umm..

Asda sell do a LaCie NAS with 500gb with basically the same functionality. So what are Iomega selling? apart from a early naughties chassis and a, (totally in the past and not relevant ), click of death reputation?

Paris - because there is probably a more hard drive innuendo angle to this review.

OK but bundled software not so hot

I've had one of these for a few weeks. It works fine as a NAS drive. But the bundled Retrospect backup software crashed both the Win XP machines on my LAN. It seems to rely on the drive always getting the same IP address, which did not happen with my DHPC router setup. To stop it trying to run you have to un-install, or delve into the system services.

Also when you boot up a PC on the network, the bundled "Discover" software tries to find the drive and map it to a local disk. So if the drive gets different addresses the result is a load of left-over dud mapped drives.

Mozy internet storage is also bundled (but no special bargain). It also inserts itself as a service and there is no uninstall. Pity, they have obviously tried to make the system easy to use but it is a half-baked attempt.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums