back to article Acer promises Windows Mobile 6.5 smartphone for €49

Acer unwrapped a quartet of smartphones at Cebit today, doubling its range just weeks after it unveiled its first wave of devices. The Taiwanese vendor's second set of handsets will all run Windows Mobile 6.5 and offer what it describes as full smartphone functionality, with the mandatory cameras and GPS. At the top of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I missing something?

"But, said de Lencquesaing, the “market has evolved...[and become] more price sensitive”. So, the range will be fleshed out with the L1, a slider with an alphanumeric keypad. de Lencquesaing said it would have all the functionality of the top end device but in a more familiar format."

So it does everything the top end phone does, but for a lot less money. If that were true who would stump for the top end phone?

I suspect the reporter is oversimplifying a touch.

2. Emo
    Joke

Surely €49

Is a more familiar format for most.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Me no understand

This presumably is on a contract aye? Are contracts weighted differently elsewhere then, because here (UK) I paid less than that for an HTC Touch HD on a 30quid/month contract, so 49euro upfront sounds a little cheeky, if not temerous, verging on taking the piss.

4. Warhelmet

Really?

€49? As Tathan sez - I find it difficult to believe that this is the price sans contract. If it is, what sort of compromises are made?

5. Kevin Whitefoot

@Emo

In Norway it is common for a contract to cost less than 200NOK per month with a mobile costing 1NOK up front. For my N73 I paid 1NOK plus 95NOK a month for twelve months, after twelve months my monthly fees will be talk time only. 1GBP=10NOK. But the monthly fees here usually do not include any talk time. So yes, different countries have different types of contracts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like