Feeds

back to article Oz runs Romero-themed zombie awareness week

Australia is running a national zombie awareness week in a bid to educate users about how to stop hackers from taking over control of their PCs. The event, which runs until 8 March, is a variant on the internet security awareness weeks run in other countries. Windows PCs compromised by malware are routinely used to distribute …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Dead Vulture

Oh no, boring hackers...

...I was hoping for a poster session on never-ending, quasi recursive, bank bailouts. Oh well.

Reg tombstone, because you never know what might lie beneath.

Thumb Down

Damn...

I was hoping for a *John* Romero connection here. Bah.

DESIGN IS LAW!!

Dead Vulture

Uhm...

just because Australia is in the process of getting off the intertron altogether it does not mean you should not link to your sources while they are still around.

Happy

well, someone has to do it

I for one, welcome our zombie, brain-eating overlords.....

how sad :-(

Silver badge

Root cause?

"The Australian campaign aims to tackle one of the root cause of the botnet epidemic - user awareness."

Not sure that you expressed the right idea with this sentence. But if so, let's tackle user awareness!

Also, the real root cause of Windows botnets might be somehow related to Windows piss-poor security by default, and to MS continuous crusade for the dumbing down of lusers.

And stop with this "underground forum" thing. I know it adds some spooky-sexy-Sun-like spice to articles, but if we wanted that we would be reading The Sun, not El Reg, wouldn't we?

An Aussie run campaign using Braindead?

Unlikely, since Braindead is from the country that supplies Australia with people with three figure IQs, namely New Zealand.

Coat

This is not the title you're looking for

At the risk of being told I should get out and about more, I'd like to know where this campaign is being mounted. As a resident of the Greater Antipodes, the first place I've come across this supposed enlightenment of the Okker masses is on El Reg - an esteemed publication from The Old Country - 12,000 miles away.

Googling "National Zombie Bot Awareness Week" gets me 6 hits. Hardly blanket covereage (for any positive values of blanket.).

Maybe they need a zombie bot net to distribute the information more widely?

Mine's the one with the yet-to-be-disseminated media release in the pocket.

Thumb Down

Zombie awareness week huh?

What does it say about the success of their compaign and activities that I (a person in Sydney, Aus) found out about this from a UK website.

Stop

Maybe try... advertising?

Knowing the australian government they have advertised this on TV, radio and print newspapers - none of which I listn to / watch / read.

Maybe they should try teh Intarwebs?

Australian Government - Bringing FAIL to you!

Lucky I read a UK new website like El-Reg

I had no idea that we had such a thing (I'm in Melbourne)

Flame

Where are they advertising?

As another Aussie (who does watch TV, listen to radio and reads local news sites), I'd just like to say "Where the fsck are they advertising??"

This is the first information I've come across about this. Mind you it's hardly surprising that a bunch of geeks don't understand the need to market their message. They probably put it on a blog somewhere and thought that was all they needed to do.

I may be a geek, but at least I understand that blogs and twitter don't actually count as marketing

E

Romero

The only connection where 'Romero' and 'zombies' makes any sense is 'John Romero'!

Dead Vulture

And i thought this was about

Hacking into those electronic roadside signs, that all seem to still use the default password, so they read "Caution, Zombies next 10 km", Quite a popular past time around here.

Oh, and for the ultimate Oz Zombie flick, You can't beat Undead http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undead_(film)

Reg Tombstone for dramatic effect.

Coat

Brisbane photo opportunity

There's an annual zombie march in Brisbane (Queensland) both events could have been coordinated, and well 'fed off one another'

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/queensland/undead-take-over-city/2008/05/25/1211653837812.html

& photos

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/photogallery/2008/05/25/1211653839056.html

Paris Hilton

Po-faced Auntie

Not so long ago there was a coordinated "Thriller" video re-enactment around the world (25th anniversary last Dec?).... the news made the BBC World (TV) service and was introduced utterly perfectly at the end of the "real" news by an anchor(woman) looking directly to camera and announcing - completely deadpan - "And zombies have taken over the centres of a dozen cities around the world..."

At which point I looked up - WHAAAAT?

Don't suppose anyone captured ~& yootoobed that moment did they?

Paris - because she's not after my Braaaains

NB
Paris Hilton

want to end botnets?

install linux, make IT security a basic part of school education, we already teach the ankle-biters how to make spreadsheets and the like. It wouldn't do any harm to advise them on good password policies and basic principles like ``don't run unnecessary services that allow any kind of remote access''. Pretty simple IMO

Paris, cos she's pretty simple too.

This topic is closed for new posts.