back to article Gamer suspended from Xbox Live after saying she's gay

A gamer has claimed that Microsoft suspended her from Xbox Live because she identified herself as a lesbian to other members of the online gaming network. The woman – identified only as Teresa, by a Consumerist online report – claimed she was harassed by other gamers who were peeved that she'd dared to state her sexuality in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Xbots

Not surprised by their behaviours.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does this honestly surprise anyone?

You have a situation where one person is being victimised/harassed/bullied by a group of others. You can either deal with the bullies, or you can remove the victim. Either way solves the problem in terms of there will no longer be any harassment/bullying taking place.

Is it really surprising that companies will take the much easier, if not less ethical, route of getting rid of the victim? It's very easy for them to claim that she is a troublemaker, for example. That the problem wouldn't exist if she wasn't there.

Not to mention that by removing the victim means they only lose one source of income as opposed to losing potentially a couple dozen or more if they take action against the bullies.

Sadly, this sort of attitude is prevalent in society, whether it's on Xbox Live, internet forums, or in schools and workplaces.

C'est la vie. Linux is much more gay-friendly than Microsoft 8-D

3. mark
    Flame

Bringing down the tone

The question has to be asked, did they harass this woman for being a lesbian or did they harass her for being the type of person that always has to bring sex into everything? This is computer gaming people, keep your private life private. Xbox live is NOT a pick up tool!

4. Emo
    Paris Hilton

Harressment

If she was haressed by content on her profile then she shouldn't of put anything in there, or alternatively, set the PRIVACY OPTIONS.

Quote: Toulouse stressed that "harassment of gamers of any type be it homophobia or racism or other, is expressly forbidden and my team will take action against it, up to and including a permanent ban"

I invite Toulouse to any Call of Duty 4 or World at War lobby, when Americans are present, and they would be busy for a long time 'taking action'.

Not to bash Americans but it seems 90% of them on Xbox Live are racist homophobic xenophobes.

Paris for her perks.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop bragging about it then...

She would never have been harassed for being gay if she hadn't brought it up in the first place!!!

Why to some gay people feel the need to point the fact out to everyone they meet, I've never had some one come up to me and say.. hi I'm Bill, I'm heterosexual !!!

Oh and it isn't just gay people that do this, for some reason vegetarians seem to have the urge to broadcast their peculiar affliction at every opportunity too.

Just keep it to yourself and get on with your life.

6. Daniel Owen
    Thumb Down

Does nothing to prevent it

Microsoft does nothing to prevent this abuse, aside from not allowing you to use your profile or gamertag to express your orientation!!!

How can she say they are doing nothing when they don't allow if for this exact reason?

7. Vetis

agree with AC

It's a gaming network, your orientation should have no place in it.

Unless she was using it to try and pick up others as that is the ONLY reason to include it. I think this is one of the reasons why, they dont want Xbox live to turn into a pickup joint.

Agree with AC in that why do people need to shout about certain things when it clearly has no place in the arena they are venting it in.

8. Waldo
    Happy

Immaturity

This does nothing more than show us the general immaturity of many XBL users. Sorry, but thats just the way it is.

9. alicnik

Microsoft got it right.

The terms of usage on XBox Live are said to state that a user's account will be banned if they indicate their sexual orientation therein. Microsoft aren't banning this woman's account because she's a lesbian, they're banning the account for a breach of the terms of usage. To repeat a sentiment echoed by others before me on this thread, a gaming community isn't the forum to shout out about one's sexual proclivities, however mainstream.

This account was banned for breaking the rules. I'm confident there are other accounts where the gamer states that they are hetero/homo/bi-sexual and, if Microsoft find out about them, then they should be banned too. Unless Microsoft allow people who state that they're heterosexual to stay 'in play' whilst banning others who state that they are homosexuals, then the corporation cannot reasonable be accused of discrimination. Blame people who don't read the rules which are put in place to make life easier for everyone involved and avoid controversy just like this.

I'd also like to second the opinion of Waldo regarding the immaturity of users who thought it would be a good way to spend time tailing and teasing a fellow gamer. Although it wouldn't have happened had the usage terms been abided by, that's absolutely no excuse for a collection of people in an escapist world to start targeting and cyber-lynching others.

10. David Paul Morgan
    Stop

there's a reason for 'coming out'...

... and it's been shown by some of the ignorant comments on here.

The 'default' sexuality for humans is mostly heterosexual. It an individual does not state their sexuality explicitly, then you are 'lying' by default.

Harvey Milk was right to make sure that all his supporters were 'out' to their family and friends - this makes sure that homosexual people are not an 'invisible' minority.

If the microsoft gaming environment does not allow declarations of 'sexuality', that's fine - but all gamer tags and profiles should be gender and sexuality neutral - for consistencies sake.

Incidentally, 'anonymous cowards' & vetis & mark above, by declaring myself as a gay man here, I refuse to be treated as an invisible 'oppressed' minority. The comments about a 'pickup' joint further show ingorance and stupidity about gay people.

11. Anthony
    Jobs Horns

Re: Immaturity

Games consoles are frequently played by 'kids' right ... so immaturity is pretty much to be expected isn't it? And, as others have stated, it seems pretty sensible of MS to have explicitly banned the statement of sexuality for this very reason.

Not to say that immaturity amongst adults is not endemic in any anonymous forum ... except El Reg of course (ha ha).

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Offensive?

"...because other gamers supposedly found her sexual orientation 'offensive'."

They were probably just pissed off because she didn't post videos.

Paris, because she'll always post quality videos on request.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like