Feeds

back to article NASA releases moon return globo-projection movie

NASA has announced the imminent debut of a promotional film entitled Return to the Moon, made for the radical new "spherical film-making" projection system. What, you didn't know about spherical movies? Neither did we, to be honest. In essence, the idea is to project the images not onto a flat screen but onto a large sphere …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Jas it up

Sounds great, but will the soundtrack to these movies be a spherical song?

Happy

Does this mean

we will soon be able to explore Google Moon? Seems like they are trying to map the whole solar system.

Coat

Been there...

I was about to ask why there are no comments so far asking where they got the footage from since they didn't go there.

Mine's the one with the book on crackpot conspiracy theories in the pocket.

Alien

"return" to the moon

come on, nut jobs, let's be having you... photos and shadows and all that tripe?

No

Go see it

I first saw a "science on a sphere" presentation at the Bishop museum in Honolulu, it is REALLY neat. You really feel like you are looking at the planet or moon being displayed in real life.

Happy

Re: Does this mean

Yes, for quite a while now: http://www.google.com/moon/

You may also be interested in http://www.google.com/mars/

War of the worlds

The live concert of War of the Worlds (Jeff Wayne Musical version) has what sounds very similiar, a projection of an animated head of Richard Burton onto a sphere above the stage.

Paris Hilton

@Jerome

I have your soundtrack right here:

http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song

Paris Hilton

But shurley

@Jerome

the music will be Mike Oldfield's "Music of the Spheres"

Paris, spherical objects, make sweet music etc etc.

Bronze badge

Obvious Destination

I presume these films are intended to be used as educational material by planetariums, which have the equipment to present them to the public as part of their educational function.

Joke

Just one little thing...

ok I get why you need a load of kit, half a dozen p.c.s and four or so projectors some speakers, so far so good, but why the nunchucks exactly ? I mean you can just ask people to be quiet.....

Wow...that's limiting your market!

I mean I know there are a fair few astronomer places (planetarium is the term I think) around but this seems like a bit of a waste to be honest, unless I guess it can be sold for a pretty penny.

Theatre

Detroit's science musuem used to have a hemisphere screen. Pretty cool. You sit in a reclined position (more or less) and the whole thing covers more of your peripheral vision.

The one I saw on bees had Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons' playing. Would really like to see somthing like this.

I've seen this in several places

It's actually a pretty neat thing, although you're right that it's one of those things that's really more of a "showpiece" than an actual useful thing. You can't point to things on it without blocking the view, or using a laser pointer.

Thumb Down

why?

Why in the hell do we need to go to the moon? (that about sums up my thoughts on this topic)

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Spherical is the way to go

For example, I enjoyed a delicious meal of spherical cow just this evening. It's the taste that can't be beat!

Bronze badge
Happy

surprised the "interactive" buzzword has not been used

The National Space Museum has some nice exhibits, I was there recently. Maybe they should try getting this, instead of that crummy american 3d stage show that no-one watches (I mean the one in the open next to the Martian Rover enclosure, not the ride with the special glasses)

Joke

Re: Does this mean

You can also explore the internet at www.google.com Amazing isnt it!

This topic is closed for new posts.