back to article Snowstorm swallows GPS skiing gizmo's creator

In a cruel twist of fate, an Australian man behind the development of a GPS gadget for tracking skiers has himself gone missing in a heavy snowstorm. flaik SSI's Flaik Scott McKay, 27, from Brisbane, was formerly the VP of Snow Sports Interactive, the company behind Flaik, a multipurpose GPS gadget aimed at skiers. McKay …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trygve Henriksen

Stupid is as stupid does...

So, this guy makes a GPS gadget that can potentially be used to find missing skiers?

Then he walks out and into a bl**dy blizzard WITHOUT one?

Did someone say 'Darwin Award'?

Oh, and I hope the police do the sensible thing; turn around!

2. Tim Williams
    Boffin

Lacking features

I have a similar competing product, unfortunately all of these sports trackers (or at least the ones I have seen) lack a vital feature normally associated with GPS devices. They don't give you you're current position.....

3. Wayland Sothcott
    Go

I am just going outside....

....I may be some time.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Kiseko?

Should this be Niseko?

5. andy gibson
    Coat

In other news...

Bill Gates is discovered to use Linux on his home PC.

6. mark Silver badge
    Thumb Up

yeah but

inventors of life saving equipment are exempt from Darwin Awards, having kept more people alive.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Heartless

Trygve Henrisken, you're an utter tool. Have some compassion for the people involved with Scott.

If you actually did any research into the incident, then you'd realise that it wasn't a blizzard. It was a clear night, no snow, less than 15min nearly straight walk from the bar to the hostel.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/mystery-of-missing-scotts-last-walk-20090225-8h2v.html?page=-1

Shut your useless hole unless you know the whole story.

Tim, do some more research into the device. It gives the current location using GPS with a fallback to a wireless mesh across the whole snowfield.

To the register: This is a mysterious tragedy, even people native to the town are unable to explain his dissapearance. Be respectful, terms like boozer aren't that nice toward his worried family. Get your facts right, the town is Niseko. You should be ashamed.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mission successful?

Maybe his company was in financial trouble and his attempt at a fake suicide and disappearance in Japan is now successfully complete?

9. Jeremy

Get your facts straight and show some decency

Firstly, Scott is no longer with Snow Sports Interactive. He left a few years ago. He helped to test it and then tried to sell it in the US. The device is for use while skiing and is more of a fun thing to track which runs you've been on and compare times with others etc... But it also has the advantage of tracking you - especially if you go cross country.

Secondly - he was not skiing. You're an insensitive moron "Trygve"... He wasn't in a blizzard. He wasn't on skis. He left a bar in the Hirafu village - i.e. a town - at 1am, on a clear night. He never made it back to the hostel he was staying in - a 10 minute walk along paved, plowed roads. A simple search and people might not have noticed you're such an ass.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To Mission Successful

His company isn't in financial trouble. If you don't know anything about the situation, don't say anything.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In our thoughts and prayers

He was a real decent guy with everything going for him. Something of a mystery.

Hopefully there is some closure for the family and colleagues.

Scott you are in my thoughts and prayers!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like