In what much surely be the last push to get more functionality into a SIM card, Oberthur has managed to squeeze an accelerometer into SIM, with the claim of turning any phone into a Wii-like controller. SIM chips are marvellous cryptographic authentication devices, but not much else despite repeated attempts to fit more …
Jizzus mobe upgrade?
"but navigating a cascade of text menus by shaking the phone is too strange even for us"
Isn't that the little iPhones app called 'Onan'?
Not quite. . .
"In what much surely be the last push to get more functionality into a SIM card"
This is obviously a gimmick and not real progress. The problem is getting the manufacturers and telco's to agree on any changes to the UICC design (not to mention bodies involved which run to: ISO, IETF, OMA, ETSI, GSM and 3GPP).
I've seen a gigabyte USB IPv6 USIM running Apache . . . . weather anything like that will ever come to market is obviously a different matter. An IPv6 SIM twinned with a handset running ad hoc WiFi and GPS; that'd be a Web 2.0 companies dream, but we'll probably have to wait a loooong time for that one.
More likely is a converged card that operates all your digital auth requirements (phone, banking & payments, access etc.) but that requires a lot of openness from a lot more businesses.
Excellent! I'll be able to do kinematics experiments using my mobile!
- Xmas Round-up Ten top tech toys to interface with a techie’s Christmas stocking
- Xmas Round-up Ghosts of Christmas Past: Ten tech treats from yesteryear
- Review Hey Linux newbie: If you've never had a taste, try perfect Petra ... mmm, smells like Mint 16
- NSFW Oz couple get jiggy in pharmacy in 'banned' condom ad
- I KNOW how to SAVE Microsoft. Give Windows 8 away for FREE – analyst