Feeds

back to article Surreal appeal of Sun's JavaFX for mobile

It's somehow fitting that Sun Microsystems chose Barcelona, the home of modernist architect Gaudí and this week's Mobile World Congress, to announce JavaFX Mobile 1.0 - part of the JavaFX SDK 1.1 release. Just like Gaudí's work, there's something wavy, colorful and even surreal about Sun's shining new hope for Java. I've never …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Pirate

Wrong subtitle?

any particular reason why the subtitle for this article is :

"Review On day two of the Pirate Bay trial, the prosecution has sensationally dropped half the charges against the four men behind the notorious file-sharing website"

Thumb Down

MIDP signing is killing JavaME

JavaME's window of opportunity died when they yielded to mobile network operators and introduced certificates and signed applications. Case in point - every advanced feature on mobile phones that JavaME has access to (camera, bluetooth, Internet access, sensors, file system access [not private data access; regular mp3-storing-kind file system]) is restricted only to signed applications. This is killing small, independent developers (shareware / freeware) that made such a big part of what e.g. PalmOS once was. Often, it's not enough to sign applications (midlets) by a well-known CA (Thawte etc.) but the application needs to be signed by a carrier-specific CA before it can use these features.

A direct consequence of this is that freely available JavaME applications usually look crummy and outdated, which then sheds a bad light on the entire platform. About the only popular category of midlets are games, distributed, of course, by cell operators, which is a shame when the platform is in the ideal position to do a lot more.

Of course, if JavaFX mobile needs any kind of upgrade or an add-on runtime library to existing JavaME installations (which seems likely), it will be stillborn.

Thumb Up

Thanks for the mention, Matt!

Matt,

Thanks for the mention in this article. I do look forward to a good set of skinnable, CSS-styled, set of UI controls for JavaFX. This will accelerate the development of JavaFX apps, including mobile devices.

Jim Weaver

http://JavaFXpert.com (Learn JavaFX blog)

Thumb Up

@MIDP signing is killing JavaME

Agreed - even a freely available "developer" certificate would be nice. I wanted to get into homebrew mobile apps with Java ME, but I can't justify 300 quid for a certificate for something which I'm in all likelihood never going to pass to another person.

I can understand some of the reasons behind it - stopping "dodgy" apps sending SMS messages every second, or downloading buckets of data maliciously, basically anything that would cost - but if I want a homebuilt GPS tracking app on my phone I have to fork out quite a chunk of cash for one user.

This topic is closed for new posts.