back to article BlackBerry seduces punters but not profits

RIM, owner of the BlackBerry brand and service, has increased projections for subscriber growth, but still expects revenue to come in at the lower end of expectations. Back in December RIM reckoned another 2.9m punters would have acquired the CrackBerry habit, at which time the company expected revenue to be around $3.4bn. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sleepy

RIM is discounting

A group of carrier-loyal subscribers were waiting for an iPhone-style Blackberry, and the Storm is it. The question is, what happens now? Do others want Storm? Apparently RIM discounted to persuade carriers to take handsets into stock at the end of the quarter and keep the numbers up. Verizon now has offers on all Blackberries, including "buy one get one free" on Storm.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nice kit..

As a recent convert to Blackberry, I have to say I've got a renewed faith in mobile phone technology after having been badly burnt by slow, laggy and buggy Windows Mobile and Nokia phones... these beauties just work!

Push email rocks!

Go RIM!

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge

I'm guessing BES sales are slow or down.

RIM make the lion's share of their profit from BES software sales and support contracts. Whilst phones like the Storm have widened their appeal to consumers, the average consumer doesn't bring in nearly as much cash as the average BES user whose company is also paying for the BES software and support. And with an economic downturn many companies will be looking to reduce costs by cutting what they see as non-essential BES user licences.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like