Digg.com has become the latest Web 2.0 service to be abused by hackers in order to punt malware. More than 500,000 bogus comments have reportedly been posted on the site in order to drive traffic to 15 malware-hosting domains that promote a rogue anti-virus (scareware) package. Panda Security compares the attacks, mounted by …
1) It's called "duping" or "tricking". Rickrolling is a very specific term for a very general activity.
2) This just reinforces to problems with Web 2.0, as the economist put it "Eat Shit, Millions of flies can't be wrong". Once someone's learnt how to control (or create) the crowd, the whole idea of crowd intelligence collapses.
"Crowd intelligence" is surely a contradiction in terms.
You need a program installed that will stop and advise you when you attempt to visit a dangerous website.
You get "rickrolled" or simply mistype a url ... a screen pops up and asks if you really want to go to the site, with links to the reasons why its tagged as dangerous. You have to click "enter anyway" if you want to continue to the reportedly dangerous site.
I use Crawler Web Security Guard Toolbar for this (even though configuring it so its not annoying is very annoying).
The plus side is its free so I can put in on every PC I work on. It really cuts down on infections.
Everyone should be using some program like this.
... attempting to purloin and repurpose the word "rickrolling" in this way is liable to lead to a "visit" from /b/ ...
"As well as driving surfers to maliciously constructed domains, the trick also boosts the search engine ranking of hacker-controlled websites"
Excuse me, you should be worried about any website that ISN'T controlled by hackers!!
Would have thought the Reg knew better....
Leave Rick alone
This is NOT rickrolling at all.
...I'm never gunna give you up....
>Article about Digg.
what xander said
what he said. i came here to say it.
- Asteroids as powerful as NUCLEAR BOMBS strike Earth TWICE YEARLY
- Got Windows 8.1 Update yet? Get ready for YET ANOTHER ONE – rumor
- Apple stuns world with rare SEVEN-way split: What does that mean?
- Patch iOS, OS X now: PDFs, JPEGs, URLs, web pages can pwn your kit
- Sony Xperia Z2: 4K vid, great audio, waterproof ... Oh, and you can make a phone call