Feeds

back to article Cray thanks Uncle Sam for juiced revenues

Supercomputer maker Cray pulled some big bucks from the US government in the fourth quarter, nearly tripling sales. But after writing down a few assets, the company posted a loss for the quarter - and for the year. Cray booked $155.4m in sales in the fourth quarter, including $100m for a portion of the "Jaguar" petaflops …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Paris Hilton

And don't call me Shirley

Surely they could eke out a small amount of extra revenue by selling replicas of the original Cray 1, as furniture; at least a few years ago I knew people who might have paid good money for a stylish leather couch that resembled a vintage supercomputer. Also, they could sell miniature versions of the same as footstools. I mean, the design has already been paid for, and it can't cost all that much to knock up a few copies. The possibilities are almost endless - a Cray case for your games PC; a Cray drinks fridge, a Cray sandwich toaster etc. For that matter the design would presumably scale upwards, and I would be very disappointed to find out that Cray's headquarters building does not look like a giant Cray 1. Stuff the substance, what matters is how it looks, and it looks wonderful.

This topic is closed for new posts.